Gaming & General Use Desktop Unit Build

Mikary

Solid State Member
In theory, the things you're scared of are usually the most worthwhile.

Yeah, I'm sorry. Just another new topic about a newbie building their first computer unit, however, I'll try to be as brief as possible.

After months of saving up from long hours at work, weeks of selecting components, asking computer technical friends for their approval on my ideal specifications, I'm nearing the end of my dreadful yet carefully handled, troublesome journey of finally being able to start constructing my first, ever computer unit.

I'd like to share with the users of Computer Forums my up-to-date specification list of components & I would appreciate greatly if any of you could perhaps take a thorough read & tell me what your thoughts, comments, opinions, ideas, tips, advice, even ratings(1), complaints, anecdotes, etc on what I have listed.

(1) The rating system used on this topic will be 1 to 5.
(1 = lowest & 5 = highest)

The kind of desktop system I'm trying to build is for general use & the occasional gaming, perhaps being able to attend LAN parties, & so on. Free from delays, stalls & lags.

The games I usually play / will play are Left 4 Dead, World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2, Enemy Territory, Diablo 2, Diablo 3, & other games.

I'd also like to future proof for a few years. My budget is around £1,000 but willing to stretch it to £1,5000 if needed. I don't want to over do / power my first build so won't be 'pimping' out my machine with lights & illumination & just achieve a fully functional machine.

I've used various websites as my sources of components, OverClockers UK being my main. I'll definitely look at other websites to find lower prices, if any.

Feel free to share any websites you feel / experience recommendable. Also, because I'm fairly new at this, if you disagree with any of my components or can suggest better, please do! I'm open to suggestions.

I was going to use the Spoiler function to add some brief specifications of each components without spamming too much, unfortunately, this forum doesn't support the function.

If I forgot anything, or the links doesn't work / incorrect information, please tell me.

Thanks.

PS. I apologise for posting twice in a row, didn't realise there was a character limit for each post.

Case (Computer Chassis, Tower, Box, etc)
  • NZXT Hush Classic Series Silent Midi-Tower Case - Black (No PSU)
    Price: £68.99 incl. VAT
    Product Description (Source)
    Introducing the NZXT Hush, a chassis designed from grounds up to be quiet while having ample cooling. Game & work without all the noise, thanks to the sound dampening foam that is used on the top, side, & bottom panels of the case. Worried about cooling? Not to worry, the Hush is equipped with two 120mm fans running at low speeds while still achieving high levels of air flow. High end gaming requires faster hard drives & power supplies, so we've installed rubber padding near fans & hard drives to further reduce the sound level. The Hush also ships with USB 2.0, Firewire, & HD audio support. Bring more silence to your gaming experience with Hush.

- 8800GTX compatiblity: Dual NVIDIA 8800GTX in SLI may be installed with three 3.5" HDD space
    - Standard Dual 120mm Fans
    - Silent dampening foam reduces noise levels inside case
    - Rubber padding on hard drive & fans
    - Steel Chassis
    - Screwless design for 5.25" & 3.5" devices
    - Brushed Aluminum in Silver or Black, pick the style you like
    - USB 2.0, Firewire, & HD Audio support

Central Processing Unit (CPU)
  • AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 920 2.8GHz (Socket AM2+) - Retail
    Price: £172.49 incl. VAT
    The AMD Phenom II processors are the most advanced processors for true multitasking offering true quad-core design. AMD Phenom II processors deliver virtually uninterrupted information flow between processor cores, main memory & graphics & video accelerators for amazingly rapid system response & phenomenal system performance. AMD Phenom II processors deliver unbeatable multi-core value with superior high definition computing, advanced multitasking performance, & innovative, energy efficient solutions.

- True Quad-core Desktop Processor
    - 2.80GHz clock speed
    - 2MB L2 cache
    - 6MB L3 cache
    - DDR2-1066 support
    - 45nm process technology
    - Integrated Memory Controller
    - Fast Hypertransport 3.0 technology
    - Cool & Quiet v3.0
    - True Multi-core Processing
    - Direct Connect Architecture
    - Integrated Dual-Channel Memory Controller with up to
    - AMD Balanced Smart Cache
    - AMD Wide Floating Point Accelerator
    - AMD Memory Optimizer Technology
    - AMD Digital Media Xpress 2.0
    - AMD Virtualization with Rapid Virtualization Indexing

Graphics Card
  • Asus ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail
    Price: £120.74 incl. VAT
    The ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series GPUs bring the power of graphics ‘supercomputing' to gamers, setting a new standard for visual computing. Redefine the way you play and take HD gaming to the extreme with best-in-class performance. The new TeraScale graphics engine delivers an immersive, cinematic gaming experience. Add this GPU to your PC and watch Blu-ray movies and play HD content with incredible visual fidelity. Do it all with break-through efficiency that doesn't compromise performance.

- ATI Radeon HD 4850 GPU @ 625MHz
    - 512MB GDDR3 Memory @ 1986MHz
    - 24x custom filter anti-aliasing (CFAA) and high performance anisotropic filtering
    - PCI Express 2.0 support
    - 256-bit GDDR3 memory interface
    - ATI CrossFireX Multi-GPU Technology
    - Microsoft DirectX 10.1 support
    - Shader Model 4.1
    - ATI Avivo HD video and display technology
    - Unified Video Decoder 2 (UVD) for Blu-ray and HD Video
    - Built-in HDMI with 5.1 surround sound support
    - On-chip HDCP

OR

• OcUK Value Geforce GTX 260 "Core 216" 896MB with Far Cry 2 & Mirror's Edge & 2GB Flash Pen - Retail
    Price: £212.74 incl. VAT
    Powered by 216 blazing-fast processor cores and 2nd Generation NVIDIA Unified Architecture, the GeForce GTX 260 is ready to take on Microsoft DirectX 10, OpenGL 2.1 and NVIDIA CUDA-based 3D games and applications at extreme high-definition resolutions. With it's 896MB of high-performance GDDR3 and 448-bit wide memory interface, the GeForce GTX 260 is ready to take on all 3D games and applications with ultra quality textures for brilliant visuals. NVIDIA PhysX technology enables the GeForce GTX 2602 to immerse gamers in a world of realistic weather and explosion effects – blurring the line between reality and the virtual world like never before.

- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260 (216-core) @ 576 MHz engine clock
    - 216 Processor Cores @ 1242 MHz
    - 400 MHz RamDAC
    - Max. Resolution @ 2560 x 1600
    - True 128-bit floating point high dynamic-range (HDR) lighting with 16x full- screen anti-aliasing
    - 896MB GDDR3
    - 1998 MHz memory clock
    - 448-bit memory bus
    - PCI Express 2.0 x16 (Compatible with 1.1)
    - Microsoft® DirectX®10 support
    - OpenGL 2.1
    - Includes full games Far Cry 2 & Mirror's Edge
    - Includes 2GB USB Flash Pen

Motherboard
  • Asus M3A78-T AMD 790GX (Socket AM2+) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    Price: £114.99 incl. VAT
    This motherboard supports AMD AMD® Socket AM2+ multi-core processors with unique L3 cache and delivers better overclocking capabilities with less power consumption. It features dual-channel DDR2 1066 memory support and accelerates data transfer rate up to 5200MT/s via HyperTransport™ 3.0 based system bus. This motherboard supports AMD® Socket AM2 Athlon™/Sempron™ processors. It features 2000/1600 MT/s HyperTransport™-based system bus, dual-channel un-buffered DDR2 800 memory support, and AMD® Cool ´n´ Quiet™ Technology. This motherboard supports native DDR2 1066. It provides faster data transfer rate and more bandwidth to increase memory data transfer rate and computing efficiency, enhancing system performance in 3D graphics and other memory demanding applications.
    *DDR2 1066 is supported by some of the AM2+ CPUs only. Refer to www.asus.com for the supported CPU models. AMD® 790GX Chipset is designed to support up to 5200MT/s HyperTransport™ 3.0 (HT3.0) interface speed and PCI Express™ 2.0 x 16 graphics. It is optimized with AMD´s latest AM2+ and multi-core CPUs to provide excellent system performance and overclocking capabilities. ATI Hybrid CrossFireX™ technology is a unique hybrid multi-GPU technology. It takes your gaming experience to the next level boosting PC performance by enabling the chipset's integrated graphics processor and a discrete GPU to operate simultaneously with combined output for blisteringly-fast frame rates unleashing the graphics performance (Windows Vista® OS only).

- AMD AM2+/AM2 Platform
    - Support latest AMD Phenom â„¢ Quad-Core Processor
    - Dual-Channel DDR2 -1066/800/667
    - AMD Hybrid CrossFireXâ„¢ and DX10 Support
    - SidePort Memory Onboard
    - Quad-CrossFire Support
    - HDMI/DVI/RGB Support
    - Instant Internet Access with Express Gate

Memory (RAM)
  • OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-8500 Gold Edition 4GB Dual Channel
    Price: £44.84 incl. VAT
    The new OCZ PC2-8500 Gold Edition is optimized for the latest platforms and offers computer enthusiasts and gamers unparalleled performance and the piece of mind they are guaranteed to produce the world's fastest memory speeds within their personal desktop or gaming system. The DDR2-1066 Gold Edition is the ultimate memory solution for contemporary graphic-intensive PC games and provides unsurpassed reliability and performance to unleash every graphic possibility. The OCZ PC2-8500 Gold Edition utilizes the latest OCZ heatspreader design. XTC (Xtreme Thermal Convection) Heatspreaders allow increased ventilation and heat dissipation due to an innovative honeycomb design providing more direct access to the actual memory ICs. As part of the award winning OCZ Gold series, the PC2-8500 edition is built with leading edge technology designed and qualified with special selection of premium components to maximize performance when playing even the most demanding games. At a heart-pounding DDR2-1066 combined with the high 4GB densities, these modules turn out 5-6-6 timings with flawless performance and stability. OCZ Gold series products are 100% hand-tested to ensure compliance with stringent quality standards. In addition, each OCZ Gold PC2-8500 module is backed by an industry-leading lifetime warranty, toll-free technical support and the exclusive EVP (Extended Voltage Protection) coverage. With its ultra-fast performance, high quality and reliability, the OCZ PC2-8500 Gold Edition is a perfect memory upgrade for the latest memory-hungry platforms.

- 1066MHz DDR2
    - CL 5-6-6-18 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
    - Unbuffered
    - Gold XTC* Heatspreader
    - OCZ Lifetime Warranty
    - 2.1 Volts
    - 240 Pin DIMM
    - 2.15V EVP**

Power Supply Unit (PSU)
  • Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 SLi Compliant PSU
    Price: £72.44 incl. VAT
    Enthusiasts looking for the optimal in price performance PSU technology will find the Corsair TX650W/TX750W series of PSUs will meet even the most demanding of required specifications. The Corsair TX650W/TX750W power supplies are engineered using advanced technology & components typically found with high performance power supplies. With design features such as a dedicated, single +12V rail offer the maximum compatibility with the latest system components. Energy efficient circuitry capable of delivering greater than 80% efficiency ratings across 20%, 50%, & 100% load conditions make the TX family of PSUs ideal for the value/quality conscious enthusiast. With a large 120mm diameter temperature-controlled fan that is ultra quiet, yet still more than sufficient to cool the internals of the system, reliability & stability are no longer worries for the gamer, overclocker or enthusiast & high-end system builder.

- Supports ATX12V v2.2 standard & older ATX12V 2.01 spec
    - Ultra-quiet 120mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow
    - 80%+ energy efficiency at 20%, 50% & 100% load condition for less heat generation & lower energy bill
    - 99% Active Power Factor Correction provides clean & reliable power to your system
    - Universal AC input 90~264V automatically scans & detects the correct voltage
    - Dedicated single +12V rail offers maximum compatibility with latest components
    - Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection, & Short Circuit - Protection provide maximum safety to your critical system components.
    - High quality Japanese capacitors provide uncompromised performance & reliability.
    - Extra long cables support full tower size chassis.
    - TX650W Dimension: 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 5.5"(L);
    - MTBF: 100,000 Hours

Hard Disk (HDD)
  • Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM
    Price: £82.79 incl. VAT
    The Samsung Spinpoint F1 is the first three-disk hard drive delivering a whopping 1TB of capacity along with sophisticated recording technology. With its compact, lightweight package and advanced design, the F1 drive offers many advantages for high-density applications compared to using two 500GB drives or a four or five-disk solution. Compared to a five-disk 1TB solution, the F1 Series consumes 13-16% less power and provides up to 20% faster performance. This 3Gbps SATA drive has a maximum of 334GB of formatted capacity per disk while also featuring Samsung's industry-leading NoiseGuard and SilentSeek‚ technologies to eliminate acoustic noise. The Spinpoint F1 utilizes Samsung-developed perpendicular recording technology, which helps the drive set new records in both areal density and platter capacity.

- Capacity: 1TB
    - Cache: 32MB
    - Interface: SATA-II
    - Spin Speed: 7200RPM
    - Seek Time: 8.9ms
    - Warranty: 3 Years

Optical Drive
  • Samsung SH-S202N/BEBN 20x DVD±RW IDE Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter (Black) - OEM
    Price: £17.24 incl. VAT
    Samsung's is a very feature packed DVD burner. Besides supporting the standard fare of media types, the drive also can support the lesser known DVD-RAM format and the Lightscribe media for burning labels directly to the disc.

- DVD+R: 20x, DVD-R: 20x
    - DVD+R DL: 8x, DVD-R DL: 8x
    - DVD+RW: 8x, DVD-RW: 6x
    - DVD-RAM 12x
    - DVD-ROM Read: 16x
    - CD-R Write: 48x
    - CD-RW Write 32x
    - CD Read: 48x
    - Access time: 130ms
    - Buffer Size: 2MB
    - Lightscribe Labelling Function
    - Includes Nero Burning Software Bundle

Cooling
  • Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775)
    Price: £20.69 incl. VAT
    The low speed 92 mm fan reduces the noise level to a minimum.The patented fan holder is able to practically eliminate the typical buzzing sound of 80mm fans.The Heat Pipes with expanded diameter are able to transfer heat up to 200 Watt. The heat exchanger is built of 40 fins and consists of a surface area of over 5000 cm2 and allows for resistance free energy transfer to air.

- Socket Type: Intel LGA775
    - Dimensions: 104mm x 58mm x 126.5mm
    - Fan Dimensions: 107mm x 43.5mm x 96mm
    - Fan Connector: 3-Pin (PWM)
    - Fan Speed: 900 - 2500 RPM
    - Airflow: 45.0 CFM
    - Noise Level: 0.9 Sone

Operating System
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM
    Price: £91.99 incl. VAT
    Windows Vista Home Premium is a great choice for going beyond e-mail and web surfing to improve personal productivity and enjoy all kinds of digital entertainment. You can search for anything on your computer from virtually anywhere, so you'll save lots of time. You'll get improved performance and better protection for your PC, your personal information, and your family. You'll find more ways to have fun with your music, TV, games, and digital media. Plus, if you have a laptop, you'll love the new way your computer connects to wireless networks and manages battery life.

Other

Is it true that AMD works better with ATI & Intel with NVIDIA?

Or that AMD is well known for good quality quad processors while Intel is good for duo?

Surely the PSU I listed above is sufficient to power the components selected?

Which graphics card should I go for? Eek!

Also, not sure about the Optical Drive. :)

Order from Ebuyer.com, it is cheaper overall, or you could order the parts from both sites.
Is it true that AMD works better with ATI & Intel with NVIDIA?
No, there is no truth to this at all.
Or that AMD is well known for good quality quad processors while Intel is good for duo?
No, both make quads and duals and which one is for you depends on your own circumstances.
Also, not sure about the Optical Drive.
Go for a SATA drive. Much thinner, neater cables.
Which graphics card should I go for? Eek!
Depends on your native resolution.

The selection of parts looks pretty good overall though.

Yeah I just built a Phenom II machine and I can say you will be overall pleased with it.... The setup you selected is good other than like worship said the SATA drive is a much cleaner cable setup.....

Ahh wicked awesome. Thanks for replying guys.

Oh, another question.

Any of you used PriceWatch.co.uk?

A website comparing components to find the cheapest?

Is it any good or do you know of anything better?

Ahh wicked awesome. Thanks for replying guys.

Oh, another question.

Any of you used PriceWatch.co.uk?

A website comparing components to find the cheapest?

Is it any good or do you know of anything better?

Nah I'm sorry I'm in the US so I don't know much about the sites to purchase parts over there....I basically just google and look around at the sites that I know of to see what prices they got and what deals or sales the people have....But I honestly prefer to order it all from one place if the price isn't that big of a difference since it's nice to get everything you need in one big box so when it comes in you can put it together instead of getting a processor here then the next day the Mobo and Ram then the day after the drive, HDD and case comes in....

Back
Top Bottom