Remove the rep system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I agree with having no rep in the social forum, but keep it elsewhere. Everybody would have their rep wiped clean and start rep all over again, I don't really see all the members agreeing with that but.

As long as it exists, it will be misused and exploited.

What's to stop someone randomly (neg) repping you in another part of the forum just because they can, if the social ones are turned off?

Either keep it or ditch it, don't go removing half of it because it doesn't solve any problems.

I don't think it will happen. People care too much about their reps...

edit: I think you should also take out neg. rep. If someone helps, give them rep, if they don't, they don't give them rep. As simple as that.

As long as it exists, it will be misused and exploited.

What's to stop someone randomly (neg) repping you in another part of the forum just because they can, if the social ones are turned off?

Either keep it or ditch it, don't go removing half of it because it doesn't solve any problems.

Good point.

Perhaps instead of rep as we know it, we should implement a ticket system.

1.) User posts thread asking for help
2.) Several people respond to solve problem.
3.) Feedback from person.
4.) (Hopefully) solution found, thread starter asked to give rep to those involved in the solution.
5.) Thread closed

Here is an example of what I mean, scroll down the page to see the different types of posts someone can leave on a thread.
Experts Exchange Java Question

Rep will be harder to get this way, plus closing the threads after they've been considered solved would cut down on some of the spam i've seen. In addition to stopping people from posting on threads that are very old.

Not sure how difficult this is to implement with vBulletin, but I know many other sites use it, and it works very well.

*LAST EDIT I PROMISE!:
This also helps people browsing the forums to find the answer to the question quickly.

I don't really think it would be that much more work above and beyond the work already. Isn't that what a moderator is supposed to be charged with doing?

That's a good idea, and additionally, maybe an auto-close after time (x). Where x is a length of time set by the moderator or an admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom