help me choose a version of VISTA!!!!

I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit, and I had 4GB of RAM but had to take 2 out because it was faulty... And there is a pretty big difference between having 4gb of RAM and 2gb. Particularly in the startup and login time. In saying that, it still runs pretty smooth with just 2GB of ram.

-Rhys

Once you removed one of the 2gb dimms you starting running the board in the single channel not preferred dual channel mode. With prices down on memory you may want to look at getting another pair.

The second link for the winsupersite is a joke for the most part and not based on facts. When bringing that site up with a testers for MS they bark back with "don't listen to that crap. reviews the Windows blogs!".

Before pushing 64bit on people you may want to know some MS facts.

"If I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows, do I need 64-bit drivers for my devices?
Yes, all hardware devices need 64-bit drivers to work on a 64-bit version of Windows. To learn how to check for drivers, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly or go to the device manufacturer's website. You can also get information about drivers by going to the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor website.

Additionally, some 32-bit programs might use embedded 32-bit drivers, which might make the programs work improperly." http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Wi...54-d5ef-4f2c-8fb9-149bdc5c8a701033.mspx#EEAAC

When signing up for testing 7 I ran into a snag right off simply trying to get connected online due to the lack of driver support seen for the older type dsl setup here thanks to no further support from the software company for the ISP used here.

That was seen when using the 64bit upgrade advisor recommending Ultimate.

The second link for the winsupersite is a joke for the most part and not based on facts. When bringing that site up with a testers for MS they bark back with "don't listen to that crap. reviews the Windows blogs!".
Yea, I guess the news editor of Windows IT Pro Magazine has no idea of what he is talking about. :rolleyes:

Before pushing 64bit on people you may want to know some MS facts.

"If I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows, do I need 64-bit drivers for my devices?
Yes, all hardware devices need 64-bit drivers to work on a 64-bit version of Windows. To learn how to check for drivers, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly or go to the device manufacturer's website. You can also get information about drivers by going to the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor website.

Additionally, some 32-bit programs might use embedded 32-bit drivers, which might make the programs work improperly." http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Wi...54-d5ef-4f2c-8fb9-149bdc5c8a701033.mspx#EEAAC
Please read the first link I provided.

When going from 2gb to 4gb of memory on the build virtually no difference was seen performance wise in anything! When having first gone from 1gb to 2gb on an older build you could readily see XP at the time smooth itself out. Vista later ran quite well thank you.
The caution about 64bit editions while some rave they have their favorite games running is that you still can too easily run into problems with other programs and drivers for addon devices at times. If you have an older dsl setup the 64bit drivers may not be available as another thought there.
Speaking from experience, that is BS.

Hopefully when Windows 7 comes out, you won't have to sift through dozens of different versions to find out which is best for you.

Hopefully when Windows 7 comes out, you won't have to sift through dozens of different versions to find out which is best for you.

Are u sure about that? last time I checked there will be several different version of w7.

okay so when im looking on newegg or tigerdirect
and it say Vista SP1
is that the full version of Vista and the service pack?
or is it just ther SP?
thanks for the help guys
and what do i do if i cant find out if there is a specific driver for 32 or 64 bit?
also will they continue to spit out drivers (the manufacturers)
or should i cut my losses and get a new sound card? and CD Burner? or what

When you see any release now for Vista being sold it will include SP1 since SP2 is still in beta presently. I'm running the first beta of SP2 now. All preSP1 disks were sold or restocked with the service pack included.

For the annouced editions of 5 the closest to the Business edition will be seeing Professional instead. That boils down to still seeing 6 main editions for pc plus others for Tablet.

Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows 7 Enterprise

Windows 7 Professional

Windows 7 Home Premium

Windows 7 Home Basic

It helps to read the Windows blogs at times. http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/02/03/windows-7-editions-announced.aspx

okay so when im looking on newegg or tigerdirect
and it say Vista SP1
is that the full version of Vista and the service pack?
It is the full version of Vista with Service Pack 1 integrated into the OS.

and what do i do if i cant find out if there is a specific driver for 32 or 64 bit?
also will they continue to spit out drivers (the manufacturers)
or should i cut my losses and get a new sound card? and CD Burner? or what
Most newer peripherals should have Vista compatible drivers. A search of the manufacturer's website should result in the needed drivers. Many times, Vista Update will turn up the correct drivers. Things such as CD drives wont need drivers as they are supported by the OS.

It's the older stuff you will run into problems with while some things work on XP Pro 64 using Server 2003 drivers. For Vista that's a different story as well as on the 7 beta as far as 64bit.

At least Vista is seeing far better main support for video and sound cards. XP Pro 64 suffered big time there.

Back
Top Bottom