Super Bowl 43

wow..
thats kinda funny tho...

i wonder how much business Comcast will be losing after this one.

So?....that makes no difference at all.

Yes it does, it's called Psychological advantage.

if team A has a 100% success rate when entered into a particular game, then they have the psychological advantage over a team that has a 50% or even a 0% success rate in a particular game.

Psychological advantages rarely take into account the actual state of the team that it is either with or against.

a better example would be that if your team had always lost to a particular other team then the other team, regardless of the state of their side, or your side would be expecting to win, you'd be expecting them to win, just because they always do.
this doesn't mean that they will win, just that the team without the psychological advantage will feel more under pressure and be more inclined to make mistakes.

Yes it does, it's called Psychological advantage.

if team A has a 100% success rate when entered into a particular game, then they have the psychological advantage over a team that has a 50% or even a 0% success rate in a particular game.

Psychological advantages rarely take into account the actual state of the team that it is either with or against.

a better example would be that if your team had always lost to a particular other team then the other team, regardless of the state of their side, or your side would be expecting to win, you'd be expecting them to win, just because they always do.
this doesn't mean that they will win, just that the team without the psychological advantage will feel more under pressure and be more inclined to make mistakes.
I'll let you know how they fare the next time the 49ers are in the super bowl.......

And I meant that compared to the Steelers' 6 championships a 100% win percentage means nothing. So you've won every super bowl you've been in? You have only won 5.

OK,

so the first time I posted I hadn't actually gone and looked at what the records are...
but now I can say it looks like this
stealers
super bowl wins
Six (75, 76, 79, 80, 06, 09)
super bowl losses
one (96)

49ers
superbowl wins
Five (82, 85, 89, 90, 95)
superbowl losses
(none)

so the stealers have a 6:7 (85%) success rate (at this one game)
49ers have a 5:5 (100%) success rate (at this one game)

If you look at the past as a good measure of the future,
if the stealers make it to the superbowl next year they have a 15% chance of loosing,
if the 49ers make it to the superbowl, historically speaking they have a 0% chance of loosing.

thus the 49ers have a better advantage psychologically.

if you say that the stealers are better as they've made it to superbowl more times, then that would also suggest that the dallas cowboys are better as they've made it 8 times, (though they've lost it 3 times 62% success ratio)

or you could say that the Stealers have won it six times, though that's only one more than the 49ers.

when you look at chances of getting to the superbowl there have been 43 superbowls,
Stealers have been there 7:43 (16%)
49ers have been there 5:43 (11%)

so stealers have an edge there, but the percentage gap is smaller, (with only 4% difference you can't really base a statistically significant psychological advantage like you can with a 15% difference in win ratio...

Of course, that's only a psychological advantage, and stats are only good if you're making top-trump cards.

the real advantage would be shown in how each team performed in the season before hand. and that would give a more significant psychological advantage)

OK,

so the first time I posted I hadn't actually gone and looked at what the records are...
but now I can say it looks like this
stealers
super bowl wins
Six (75, 76, 79, 80, 06, 09)
super bowl losses
one (96)

49ers
superbowl wins
Five (82, 85, 89, 90, 95)
superbowl losses
(none)

so the stealers have a 6:7 (85%) success rate (at this one game)
49ers have a 5:5 (100%) success rate (at this one game)

If you look at the past as a good measure of the future,
if the stealers make it to the superbowl next year they have a 15% chance of loosing,
if the 49ers make it to the superbowl, historically speaking they have a 0% chance of loosing.

thus the 49ers have a better advantage psychologically.

if you say that the stealers are better as they've made it to superbowl more times, then that would also suggest that the dallas cowboys are better as they've made it 8 times, (though they've lost it 3 times 62% success ratio)

or you could say that the Stealers have won it six times, though that's only one more than the 49ers.

when you look at chances of getting to the superbowl there have been 43 superbowls,
Stealers have been there 7:43 (16%)
49ers have been there 5:43 (11%)

so stealers have an edge there, but the percentage gap is smaller, (with only 4% difference you can't really base a statistically significant psychological advantage like you can with a 15% difference in win ratio...

Of course, that's only a psychological advantage, and stats are only good if you're making top-trump cards.

the real advantage would be shown in how each team performed in the season before hand. and that would give a more significant psychological advantage)
It's Steelers, not stealers. They're from Pittsburgh PA, "The Steel City", known for it's steel industry.

Anyway, you're thinking too much, it's football man, past records mean nothing, it's all about how you are playing currently and just because the 49ers have never lost in the super bowl doesn't mean that when/if they get there again they are guaranteed to win. Especially considering they haven't even been in the playoffs since 2002, and the last time they won a super bowl was in 95 when Steve Young was playing. He's long gone and the 4 and 9ers haven't done much since.

Isn't it always the team that loses the Super Bowl that does terrible the next year? Just the way it goes usually.

Back
Top Bottom