winzip question

Celticsfan

Banned
Hi, I have never zipped a file before so I don't know how to yet. I was wondering if I used winzip, how much smaller could I shrink the following files sizes if you could take your best guess:

700MB
800MB
900MB

I appreciate your guess and help.

thx

The size of any zip file depends mainly on what you put into it or it already sees included. If you stuff a good number of large files in then you simply remove a few to see a smaller size. Basic math used there. If you want the 700mb to be 600mb then you remove 100mb.

Again it depends on what files are zipped up. With certain files you can see those compressed several times over while others can't be at all since they are already in a compressed form. The larger the file that can be compressed the longer time wise while generally a tool like WinZip or WinRar doesn't take any lengthy period of time unless compressing a hard drive full.

it depends on what type of file it is. Like if you are trying to compress videos or music, then it wouldnt compress much. If you compress system files, then it would compress more. I think pictures compress well too.
Then there are some files that are usually already compressed, so no matter what you do, it will be the same exact size as the regular file.

I use 7z to compress my files, it compresses pretty well, but it takes longer to extract i think.

the file types are .wmv and .avi. So far it is a little more than 1/3 done and it has been going for 50 minutes.

You can zip video files up into an archive but not really see any compression. You would simply end up with a large zip file taking up quite a bit of drive space. On average that's about 60-70mb per minute of video depending on format.

Back
Top Bottom