USB devices not recognised - windows Vista

Aleksander1313

Solid State Member
Hi I was looking at a friend's computer yesterday because they were having problems with connecting USB devices to their new Vista Laptop. I took a look in Device Manager and didn't notice any issues there, however every time I tried to connect a USB device to the laptop there was no activity. I tried a small USB memory key and a USB mouse but neither were recognised or seemed to receive power from the laptop.

My friend didn't have their power adapter so I couldn't check and see if it was simply because there was no main power to the laptop and because it was on batteries to conserve power it was not recognising the devices.

My next step will be to try it with the power adapter, but I was wondering if there were any power settings in Vista that might disable USB devices?

Thanks!

try looking in the device manager to see if the usb ports ae recognised under the universal serial bus controllers

I'd try reinstalling chipset drivers as well. Typically USB drivers come in with that so hopefully....

Thanks - still haven't been able to get the machine to see USB devices - some additional information it is a HP dv4 1225dx machine. I tried getting into the BIOS but I couldn't see any reference in the BIOS to USB device management.

I have tried using the device manager to check the power management for each USB hub but power management was not enabled on any of them.

I have changed the power settings so that no devices should be unavailable due to power and checked known working USB devices to see if they are recognised and they are not working with this laptop.

The only thing I have yet to try is reinstalling the drivers or the chipset as suggested.

Any other ideas or should I just take it back to HP? Are there any guides on the USB set up in the BIOS - the BIOS seemed to have barely any options.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom