Alienware a warning

dune1

Beta member
Hello all :) I hope you dont mind me venting a little in my very first post here :) this seems a great forum and i have learned much from lurking here.

I am writing this really to express my intense disappointment with my experience of doing business with alienware.

On the 21 November 2008 they took £2669.60 from me for payment in full of an m17 laptop.

I was excited indeed to finally be in a position to purchase such a machine having saved up for more than 2 years.

The machine froze solid the very first time I tried to start it up and by the time I could see the desktop I had 4 user accounts in vista because it took so many attempts and forced restarts.

There was a note on the desktop from them saying they had booted this machine successfully several times (sic)

After many hours on the phone to their tech guys and, after having the machine for only a few days, I was advised to send it back.

The chap I spoke to told me that I could have a replacement machine or get my one repaired. He said that if I got it repaired it would be 15 days but if I got a new one it would take until January and i'd have to pay the postage!

It was collected by DHL on 9th December 2008.

It is now 3rd february and I have heard nothing from them at all.

I have phoned several times but their girls seem to have no way of telling me where my machine is or what is happening to it.

they never once said sorry for sending me a broken machine and making me wait in silence for months for a replacement. they never offered me any compensation or a refund. they have offered no explanation or consolation of any kind.

they have completely ignored all my emails, not even a read receipt!

I feel mugged and abandoned by alienware.

so hello all, and a warning, be very cautious in your dealings with alienware!

I have never dealt with Alienware so i can't take this as definitive proof of their service. But thanks for the warning, suddenly a laptop from them seems a much less enticing prospect

I would never pay more than $500 on a laptop, unless i really need an high end for like work or school.

I dont like doing the return or refund process, theres always a risk the other side wont pull through. Unless its one of those trusted sites where almost everybody got what they wanted.

If you paid for it with a credit card then call the card company and explain what happened. Tell them you want to do a charge back on the amount.

But you only have about a certain time to do it.
Some banks said you need to do it within 60 days, and some says 90 days, and some says differently. It varies on what company you went with. If its past the dates, then the bank will just say they cant do anything.

might be better to build it yourself, but its kind of nice getting a system the way you want without building it.

I miss the feeling of opening up the box, take the computer out, plug them in, turn it on and get greeted with the OS welcome screen.

While building on the other hand, you have to search for the right parts, the right price, make sure they are compatible, they all fit in the case, the cable management and airflow is good. Put them all together, get an error, take everything apart, put them back together, try again, find out which is faulty, and which one works. Do the return process. Wishing you couldve went with another part/waste a bit more money. etc... etc...
Though thats usually the worst thing that can happen.

I sometimes just have my friends build it for me because i sometimes get a headache doing it.

I miss the feeling of opening up the box, take the computer out, plug them in, turn it on and get greeted with the OS welcome screen.

i remember that feeling when i bought my first laptop. I remember it took me a summers work to earn the money for it...and then when i finally bought it...i was so excited lol...and yes, was greeted with the OS welcome screen. Great feeling forsure.

Back
Top Bottom