Audio Setups

Alright. Well, here's the "text" version of my A/V setup. Figured it'd just be easiest that way.

*50" Samsung PN50A450 Plasma 720p (don't need anything more, cuz I don't have an Xbox360 or PS3 or BluRay or HD Sat.)

*A normal stereo which I pretty much only use for an alarm clock in the morning...but it really booms. I'll probably sell it eventually. It's been good to me - Philips 330W FW-C577 w/ PC link

*Philips DVD Player/Recorder - DVDR3506/37B - Upconverts to 1080p and plays DivX which none of my other previous DVD players have been able to do so I really like it! Also has an HDMI out.

*Then of course, last but not least the actual audio setup. 1 - Peavey 1500W PA Amp with 2 - Peavey 500W 12M speakers.

Like I said in another post, it's a pretty expensive setup (I'd probably say ~$3000 in total with decent wiring and all) but I'm really modest about it. I've worked hard for it!

*Oh, and I almost forgot. It was my moral duty to hang that Pulp Fiction poster up too. But it needs to be raised now that it's being covered by the plasma! :D

Full Setup
Proof
Amp and a speaker
Amp
Speaker Rating
Speaker
The Philips Stereo
Dish and DVD
Moral Duty :D

I see you're using Neutrik connectors. Would that work for any speakers if you purchase the proper adapter?

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking...

Speakon cables are designed to carry high current, so if you are using them within an amplified system, I'm assuming they'll work with the right connections. Like if you had a home theatre setup with 1/4" outputs and speakers with speakon inputs, then I'm going to *assume* it'd work, but to be honest, I'm not sure. There's a variety of different speakon connections (2 pole, 4 pole, 8 pole) and I'm really not sure how they all differ. Basically, what it comes down to is that speakon cables are for high-current applications and are meant to eliminate accidental unplugging since they "snap/twist" into place; if you are using them within the confines of this, you should be able to use them. However, for instance, say you want to connect a microphone to a PA system, I don't think you'd be able to use speakon since there's not a whole lot of current flowing there. That's about all the knowledge I've got on speakon connectors...that's kind of the general "gist" of it. If that makes any sense?

Yes, I'm aware of MY setup not producing 1500W...I was just listing what the system was rated for. Here's the PDF. Page 12 talks about setting up the bridge connection for 1500W. Haha...believe me...300W/channel is MORE than enough. I can't turn this up past 1/3 before my room shakes. I've never had the pleasure to take it to a large enough venue to crank it all the way :(

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking...

Speakon cables are designed to carry high current, so if you are using them within an amplified system, I'm assuming they'll work with the right connections. Like if you had a home theatre setup with 1/4" outputs and speakers with speakon inputs, then I'm going to *assume* it'd work, but to be honest, I'm not sure. There's a variety of different speakon connections (2 pole, 4 pole, 8 pole) and I'm really not sure how they all differ. Basically, what it comes down to is that speakon cables are for high-current applications and are meant to eliminate accidental unplugging since they "snap/twist" into place; if you are using them within the confines of this, you should be able to use them. However, for instance, say you want to connect a microphone to a PA system, I don't think you'd be able to use speakon since there's not a whole lot of current flowing there. That's about all the knowledge I've got on speakon connectors...that's kind of the general "gist" of it. If that makes any sense?

I'm talking about typical negative/positive -> Speakon adapters. Would speakers that use Speakon adapters work with amplifiers that use simple binding posts?

Yes, in theory that should work, however, you'd need to find out how the speakers' speakon configuration worked. Take a look at this.

So if the speakers only used one negative (-1) and one positive (+1), then it seems doable since you'd just connect the binding post connections with the -1 and +1 terminals on the speakon plug/cable. If the speakers were a 4 pole though, I'm not sure how you'd configure that (If the speaker had -1, -2, +1, and +2). I'm going to assume though that the speakers would just be 2 pole (-1, +1) so, yes, it should work.

Does that kinda/sorta answer your question?

Yeah, it does.

I was originally planning on buying a Crown amplifier, but the one I have works just fine.

Whatcha got now?

Crown, QSC, and Peavey are all very good amps. I was originally going to get QSC, but my dad and I have always been in to guitars and music so we've had many Peavey products over the years and have always like them...

On a side note, I was kind of bummed that the Peavey speakers don't have speakon connectors, but I guess it's not too big of a deal...just need to make sure everything is secure if I ever do a bigger gig. And I'd love to either buy some speaker stands or make my own...hopefully I'll be able to do that this summer.

No, that's not a bad product at all. Especially since you are carrying the Harman Kardon name :D

My Saab has a H/K (from factory) system in it and it's wonderful :)

Numbers don't mean anything really. If it's loud enough, then it's loud enough. If it sounds good, it sounds good. That's the only true way to judge an audio setup if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom