5400BE Overclock

Remember my old hype about overclocking? Came back last week. I joined OC Forums and I've been getting some help there. The people there are very knowledgeable (no offense to any of you here). They do OC'ing with all parts to bring the best in all...something I didn't do.

I'm very close to breaking the 3400MHz mark. I know I was 14MHz off before, but this time I still have some more room.

My last successful OC were under the following settings:

BIOS VCore: 1.575V
Idle VCore: 1.520V
Full Load VCore: 1.44V0 *Notice the big VDroop here*
CPU Max Frequency: 260Mhz
CPU Frequency: 226MHz
Multiplier: 15x
DRAM: 333MHz *down stepped just so I can get max OC for now*
vDIMM: 1.95V
BIOS HT Link Volt: 1.30V
HT Link: 3x *cheating a bit, but...can't help it*
HT Bandwidth: 16-bit
NB Volt: 1.15V
Full Load CPU Temp: 48C *here you see just barely enough room to break the 3400MHz mark*
Full Load Core#0: 32C [max]
Full Load Core#1: 42C [max]

I tested the same settings but with the 227 CPU Frequency (3405Mhz) and it failed after 12 minutes of P95. It was unfortunate because this post was supposed to be about breaking the mark and as I was typing it, it failed. There are a couple things that I want to buy to help me OC when I get the money and I think they'll give me some more room. First of all, I'm going to see if I can get a hold of a 16cm x 1cm MOFSET heatsink. If this gives me room on the VCore I'll get a better HSF to push it further without damaging the CPU. I think 3.5GHz may be achievable if I can get the VCore to max out at 1.65V (BIOS). My biggest problem right now is that the VDroop increases the higher my VCore is. In fact, I think the step from 1.550V to 1.575V amounted to only an increase of 0.015V under full load.

News: I upped the VCore to 1.6V @ BIOS and I changed the HT Bandwidth to 16-bit and I wasn't able to get 227 x 15 stable. I'm going to down the VCore by .05V and lower the CPU Frequency back to 226. Basically, I'm going to go to my last successful OC and check if the change to 16-bit bandwidth is causing the problem.

GJDM.

Yeah, OCforums is a great site if you can wade through all the fanboyism, some very knowledgeable members.

I would suggest searching for a pencil mod for your motherboard to deal with the Vdroop, you'd be amazed at the difference it makes. Maybe even think about a hard mod if you're good at soldering.

Nice, I dont think I could get my E7200 to that high, at least for it to be stable.
The max i can go without bottlenecking would be about 2.8Ghz IIRC, the CPU FSB has bad volts, it has 1.2v, and 1.3v and so on. Worshipme said 1.3v was too high, and i cant get higher than that without raising the FSB volts.
Unless i dont raise the FSB to try to be the same speed as my RAM. Then I get 3.2Ghz IIRC was the highest i got to.
Stupid nVidia motherboards, and the LT edition is the downgraded version, so it wasnt meant to OC much. I'll build a new rig next year or so.

Successful Clocks
clocked at 2.8GHz
7.5 multi
FSB is 373.5.
CPU Core is 1.4V
CPU FSB is 1.2V

I never OCed much after that. I want to wait till i get an retention bracket.

Sorry to steal your thread. But i have a couple of questions, if anybody want to answer.

1. What does Pencil Mod do?
2. I noticed that it reduces the Vdroop, is Vdroop bad? and how?

My overclocking experience is as follows.

When i was 13 (2 years ago) i changed some voltage thin in my bios and got my Celeron D up to 3.0Ghz stable from 2.4ghz with the stock HSF. That computer is still running smoothly.

All i know is,
Change something
If [It worked]
. Then - Leave it alone
Else - Change it back.

Worshipme, I'm also out in the cold about a pencil mod. I would love to decrease that VDroop. It's really killing me. I've never soldered before so a hard mod would not be an option. However, if hard mod is more stable than a pencil mod, I could definitely find someone to do it for me. I think that if I can decrease my VDroop, buy a better HSF, and get a hold of some MOFSETs HSF, we can definitely start to consider 3.6GHz.

I'm currently testing 16 x 213 @ 1.44V (full load, *sighs at VDroop*). Me and the guys over a OCF (mostly them) decided that higher FSB wouldn't be better than a lower FSB/higher HT. So my HT has been turned back to 5x16.

edit: I'M PISSED!!!!!!!! This thing won't take 3.4GHz at all!!!!! Passed 3390 easy...but no 3400. FFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!

i have a q6600
2.4 ghz but on stock cooling
ive never oc a q6600 on stock
think on stock i could hit 3ghz max temp under 100% load for 10 mins was like 62 i think
if i just bump up the fsb that shouldnt increase me on heat that much right

Heat only increases when you increase VCore. You may notice like 1-2C increase tops if you raise the FSB. You'd have to be raising it a lot though.

so what settings you think im going to have to make to hit 3ghz
oh and my ram 2
i got 2 stick of 2g from ocz
deff wanna over clock that

Back
Top Bottom