Dell 5400 giving me the middle finger.

Can you check the case to mainboard power connections? The ones that go from the front panel to the pins on the motherboard. See if you accidentally hit it loose or if a pin is bent.

Nothing to do with that. This is no hardware problem. Have you cleaned all ATi drivers before installing nVidia drivers? If you haven't I'll bet you the problem's right there. It usually doesn't work out having a lot of video drivers installed at the same time.

If you will allow, why does you customer want to switch out a powerful workstation card for a mediocre graphics card? I would definitely try different ATi drivers (older versions) to see if you can fix the problem. Or maybe get rid of the Windows display drivers (if that's allowed, I'm not quite sure).

Graphics drivers do not cause systems to not power up. I'd check your connections first, then uninstall the older drivers later. But Joga is correct, the system loads drivers up at the beginning of startup, and this may be causing your delayed startup.

If you want to try and remove these drivers:

Start menu > Run > cmd > set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 > exit cmd prompt

Afterwards, go into the device manager, choose View > Show hidden Devices - remove the ATi drivers.

Nothing to do with that. This is no hardware problem. Have you cleaned all ATi drivers before installing nVidia drivers? If you haven't I'll bet you the problem's right there. It usually doesn't work out having a lot of video drivers installed at the same time.

But if his computer is not on, there is no software to affect it.

Woah! Sounds like to me based on the having to press the power switch 10 times to get it to start, You've probabley done some ESD damage.
The latching transistor relay shorts the green psu wire to ground. When the psu comes up to speed it sends a signal back on the gray wire to the bios telling it to proceed to post. Now a tech worth their salt would use a logic trail that would start with testing the switch itself to see if it's worn out. Next check the wires from the switch to the header to make sure they are not chaffing any where. Then move on to the switch and led header making sure they're plugged in on the header securely.
If all that's good then try unplugging the front panel power switch and short the power pins with a small screw driver. You do that to verify the the switch is good or bad. If it's a flake then replacing it is a matter of calling Dell and getting another one sent to you.
If it still has trouble starting up then unplug the computer from the wall and push down on the power button until you see the power led flash on briefly. That discharges the caps in the psu and you are for all intense purposes dead as a door nail.
Move the cmos jumper to the clear position and leave it for a few minutes. Or pop out the cmos battery and leave it out for a few.
Ok now after 5 or 10 minutes put every thing back like you found it.
Plug the psu back in the wall. Give it about 2 minutes to charge the caps back up. Boot it up.
Now when it gets to the main screen go to the control panel and find the drivers you are not using. UNINSTALL THEM.
Find RegScrubXP online and run it until it doesn't find a bloody thing.
Comes the fun part. Go to device manager and in one of the drop down menus you'll find a selection to show all hidden devices. If you see any vid card device that is in there and it's not the one you have plugged in at the time, right click the ghost icon and select remove this device.
Put device manager back to normal running mode and exit out.
Run regScrubXP again. It's going to find a s**t load of phantom reg files. Kill em.
Reboot.
If after all that you're still having problems I'd bet a fin you ESD the board.

Back
Top Bottom