I think I broke it---Help please!

ohano77

Beta member
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for some advice from anyone who can help me.
recently upgraded my Dell XPS 410 with a new processor--Intel Q6700 quadcore. computer was originally shipped with an E6600 dualcore CPU. I went to all the Dell forums prior to this upgrade and found a thread that told me that this new chip would work, however after spending $250 I believe that I that thread may have been wrong.
Here are my symptoms;
when I 1st installed the CPU things went well--very well--computer was super fast. then within days programs started to run slowly--as with the old CPU. then I noticed a message during startup stating that the CPU is incompatible with the system. However after pressing F1 (an option listed directly under the error message--"to continue press F1") the computer's OS would still start . over a period of weeks I began having issue after issue with multiple new programs/games that I had installed after the New processor. It bacame obious that something was wrong.
Tired of the headache, I did a factory restore. I then proceeded to uninstall old programs that came with the computer to make way for new stuff (video card, misc. software, etc.). I also put an 8800 Ultra and New PSU that checked out fine in the BIOS and seemed to be functioning perfectly.
Now after the initial startup screen scrolls through it's system information the screen goes black and the OS (Vista 32bit) never boots up.
I've tested the hardware in BIOS and everything checks out (the system shows the CPU information and says its operational) but I cannot start my computer.
To make things worse I cannot get back into system repair or restore at this point. When I try the screen just goes black. And to make things even worse, I gave the old processor to my dad who lives out of town so now I'm stuck with a worthless, malfunctioning computer that may or may not be doing so because of an incompatable processor!
I've since been back to the Dell forums and have read repeatedly that the Q6600 processor works on the XPS 410 but I haven't seen anything on the Q6700.
So my question is this; why would the Q6600 work on a board that does not support a Q6700? I assume that the only difference between the two chips is 0.24Ghz. I do not want to throw away another $200 on a new CPU and end up in the same boat I'm in today. Maybe I can get the old dual core processor back from my dad and see if that makes the problem go away.
Any advice at all would be helpful and much appreciated!!

Dell XPS 410
Intel Q6700 Quadcore CPU.
4GB DDR2 factory RAM
750 GB Sorage (2 HD--250GB & 500GB)
Evga 8800 Ultra Video Card
Ultra 500W PSU

^^This sounds like the culprit See if there is a bios update on the website of the manufacturer of your motherboard

I thank you both for the reply. I'd like to test that theory but unfortunatley the only thing I can access on my PC at the is point is the system menu which doesn't let me do much of anything. When I try to access the Fix My Computer menu the screen goes black, and when I try to start my computer in safe mode (which has always been fail-safe in the past)....nothing...blackness..
Being a Newbe I think either I will have to get my hands on the old processor, reinstall it and hope that takes care of the problem or give my PC over to a tech I know and let him have a go at it.
anyway, thanks for the reply...wish me luck!

The system menu when you boot up the PC? That's your BIOS. You can always upgrade your BIOS through a flash drive. Find what BIOS version you need and download it from another computer.

^^^^ exactly

go to your systems manufacture.

I looked online apparently your XPS has
Dell P965 BTX motherboard

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2834&p=2
it could be wrong but find the BIOS for this GOOGLE is your friend.

download to flash drive

keep in mind from another computer

then go to your XPS start it up

plug in the flashdrive into the XPS

Hit F10 i do believe that is the boot menu option

find the flashdrive from the boot menu and hit enter. it should boot from that flash drive.

and wah laaa updated BIOS

why would you put a quad core in a dell mobo?

its like putting a supercharged v-8 in a geo.. just not right man

Back
Top Bottom