Need refresh my memory on Overclocking.

Worshipme, I just looked In my bios and gat very confused with the 1:1 ratio. I have an 8 X 400 = 3200 Mhz, but what am I supposed to set my Ram ratio too?
That's a bit of a weird way to change the ratio. See the Target DRAM frequency, DDR2 960. Since you're running a 400 FSB, you are, right? You know the current ratio is 5:6, because 400x 6/5 = 480 480x2 = DDR 960. Just go through the options until the Target DRAM speed displays DDR 800, then you'll know you've found the 1:1 ratio.
I only have 8X and 6X option in the “CPU Clock ratio” Also any idea what “Boot Up Clock” does? It's on the screenshoot.
You'll only need the 8x, which is the highest available multi, for now. And the "Boot up clock" is just one of DFI's many BIOS options that nobody really needs. Just leave it on auto or disable it if you can.
with 1:1 ratio your gonna have to overclock ram
To overclock his RAM running a 1:1 ratio, he'd need to be running an FSB speed of 533MHz+.
Setting it to auto and the motherboard would run the RAM at it's stock speeds, hence the 5:6 ratio.

Great explanation worshipme, thanks

Woot! I managed to boot into windows with 3.2Ghz ")

I was able to boot into Windows using these settings,

8 X 400 FSB = 3200
333/667= DD2 801

Trying to get that stable now, but no luck... Was able to do small fft's for 30 min with no problem, but using large and blend tests, cores 1 & 2 fail after 3 seconds.

I tried setting Vcore from 1.2200v (auto bios) to 1.26875v (bios). CPUz shows as 1.296v (Idel) & 1.264v (load) with everything else default, but no luck. I then tried increasing the NB from 1.33v (bios) to 1.41 (bios) with the same settings, but that didn't work ether. I then lowered NB to default and increased VTT from 1.100v to 1.200v keeping Vcore at 1.26875 (bios) but it failed again. Can someone give me some pointers here with what I should be messing first...etc? Thanks

Here are the current bios pics:
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m62/MALOI2006/DSC00023.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m62/MALOI2006/DSC00024.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m62/MALOI2006/DSC00028.jpg

Looking at pic #2 what is the difference between “SB Core PLL Volt” & “SB 1.05v Volts”, when people say increase your SB volts, which one are they referring too? Also do I need to set my timings manually? If so, here is my timings bios pic http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m62/MALOI2006/DSC00026.jpg & http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m62/MALOI2006/DSC00026.jpg

My ram: G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 (1066) 5-5-5-15 2.0v-2.10v
My mobo: DFI UP LT P35 FSB = 1333/1066MHz Memory Standard DDR2 800
CPU: Intel Q9450 2.66GHz FSB 1333MHz 45 nm

Thanks for the help.

Great explanation worshipme, thanks

Woot! I managed to boot into windows with 3.2Ghz ")

8X400=3200
333/667=DD2 801

Trying to get that stable now, but no luck... Was able to do small fft's for 30 min with no problem, but using large and blend tests, cores 1&2 fail after 3 seconds.

I tried setting Vcore from 1.2200v (auto bios) to 1.26875 (bios) 1.296 (cpuz Idel) & 1.264 9 (cpuz load) with everything else default, bu no luck. I then tried increasing the NB from 1.33v (bios) to 1.41 (bios) with the same settings, but that didn't work ether. I then lowered NB to default and increased VTT from 1.100 (bios) to 1.200 (bios) keeping Vcore at 1.26875 (bios) but it failed again. Can someone give me some pointers here with what I should be messing first...etc? Thanks

I don't think you're giving that chip enough juice, isn't the coreVID for that chip 1.3625 or something similar...? give it some juice and see if it stabilizes, just remember to keep it under 1.4v...

I don't think you're giving that chip enough juice, isn't the coreVID for that chip 1.3625 or something similar...? give it some juice and see if it stabilizes, just remember to keep it under 1.4v...
I would tend to agree, increase your vcore one increment at a time and retest with the Small FFT test, if it fails increase vcore one more increment and try again, rinse and repeat until you get stable which should be around 1.3 to 1.32V imo.

As wol-va-rine has stated the VID range for your chip tops out at 1.3625 and I'm fairly confident you should achieve stability before you get that high.

For a 400MHz FSB I doubt you'd need to raise VTT above 1.175V, hell I'm only running 1.175V for a 500MHz FSB so you should be good at default or slightly higher.

If your 4GB of memory is 4*1GB modules you may have to raise your NB/MCH voltages but if it is 2*2GB they should be good at default or maybe raised one increment.

Just looking at the voltages you have posted I would say lack of Vcore is your main issue.

Good luck

:)

I tried setting Vcore from 1.2200v (auto bios) to 1.26875v (bios). CPUz shows as 1.296v (Idel) & 1.264v (load) with everything else default, but no luck. I then tried increasing the NB from 1.33v (bios) to 1.41 (bios) with the same settings, but that didn't work ether. I then lowered NB to default and increased VTT from 1.100v to 1.200v keeping Vcore at 1.26875 (bios) but it failed again. Can someone give me some pointers here with what I should be messing first...etc? Thanks
Remember that it's the in windows load reading that matters, and not the BIOS setting. Get the readings with CPU-Z.

And I agree with ATF, bump up the Vcore slightly. You could loosen your RAM timings as well to take the stress off the NB.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ50 notebook with vista. I'm looking to upgrade my memory so i can enhance my performance. How many slots of memory do I have and what is recommended for World of Warcraft? tyvm:D

I just looked online and yes you are right it is about 1.36v. I will try 1.32 when I get home late on tonight. Thank you.

I would tend to agree, increase your vcore one increment at a time and retest with the Small FFT test, if it fails increase vcore one more increment and try again, rinse and repeat until you get stable which should be around 1.3 to 1.32V imo.

As wol-va-rine has stated the VID range for your chip tops out at 1.3625 and I'm fairly confident you should achieve stability before you get that high.

For a 400MHz FSB I doubt you'd need to raise VTT above 1.175V, hell I'm only running 1.175V for a 500MHz FSB so you should be good at default or slightly higher.

If your 4GB of memory is 4*1GB modules you may have to raise your NB/MCH voltages but if it is 2*2GB they should be good at default or maybe raised one increment.

Just looking at the voltages you have posted I would say lack of Vcore is your main issue.

Good luck

:)

Once again ATF thanks for a great reply! Very detaild, just what I was looking for. I will give the Vcore some juice today when I get home.

I have 2 X 2GB stick of RAM. I did small ftt's for 30min with my current settings and everything was fine, its when I do large fft's or a blend test, thats when cores 1 & 2 crash right away.

Remember that it's the in windows load reading that matters, and not the BIOS setting. Get the readings with CPU-Z.

And I agree with ATF, bump up the Vcore slightly. You could loosen your RAM timings as well to take the stress off the NB.

Thanks you for the heads-up with the CPUz reading, I was wondering what I should be using. I'm not sure how to loosen the timing. But I will try increasing the Vcore first, will see what happens.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ50 notebook with vista. I'm looking to upgrade my memory so i can enhance my performance. How many slots of memory do I have and what is recommended for World of Warcraft? tyvm:D

You really should start a new thread for this….

You need to do a little research about your pc on your own and give us the specs of it. With Vista and WoW I would say 4Gb would do you good. Especially if you running DD2, its very cheep now.

PS: plz start a new thread.

UPDATE 02/03

Gat some bad bews :(

I tried increasing the Vcore. Tried Vcore of 1.3v, but that failed. Then did Vcore 1.35v (bios) 1.36v (cpuz idel) & 1.344v (cpuz load) with “NB 1.05v voltage” slightly bumped up to 1 notch to 1.150(bios) from 1.070(bios) also raised “SB Core/CPU Pll” from 1.55v to 1.75v & raised the NB from 1.30v to 1.37v and cores 1&2 still failed after 3 seconds. I then tried keeping everything at those settings and raising the VTT from default 1.1v to 1.33v I was managed to do blend test for 5 min then it failed and was able to do large fft's for 5 min until my computer locked up. Here is the ss of the bios volts.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m62/MALOI2006/DSC00030.jpg

I'm feeding the default voltage for my ram 2.1v. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166 What I did I tested RAM everything on DEFAULT, with memtest for about 16h 9 passes or so with 0 errors, but that was with ought any OC.

I really not sure what to do now… I tried a VERY high VTT as well as a VERY high Vcore, & raised NB and SB a few clicks.

Please advise.

That is a very high VVT voltage for 3.2. I would suggest completely loosening the RAM timings as the problem doesn't seem to lie with your CPU. Undo the changes to the voltages that you've determined are not the problem, especially CPU PLL, that's very high for a 45nm.

There's always the chance that you've got a dud as well, I went through two E8400s before I got a decent chip.

I would reset your bios to default and start again, things like GTL+ Buffer Strength and similar settings can make or break an overclock, Asus boards had a memory bandwidth setting that could stop you in your tracks if it was set to too high a setting with tight memory timings so your problem may well lie with a setting of that sort.

Start from a default bios and just bump up your vcore and multi for starters

Back
Top Bottom