data transfer??

familyman1

In Runtime
i have an old desktop that has files on it that i want to transfer to my new laptop. the cd/dvd drive is not functioning so i was wondering if there was a way that i can maybe hook up a usb cable between the two and transfer the data that way? thanks in advance for your expertise. btw, the desktop has xp and the laptop has vista premium.

External 3.5" usb enclosures are one way where you simply stuff the old hard drive in one and plug into a usb port on the laptop for direct copying. Those run as little as $10 for some of the lower cost items.

Many with laptops are going for external hard drives they can simply plug into a desktop as well as a laptop used at work or school to see files transferred that way or carry a usb flash drive to carry 4, 8, even 16gb of files in a small pocket holder or belt clip.

so the best thing to do is buy an external hard drive, copy from the desktop, then hook to the laptop and put the files on its hard drive?

No, I think dodge is pointing towards buying an enclosure so you can put the harddrive from your old computer in it to transfer files to your new one.

For simply seeing files copied off the drive the external enclosure is the usual method there. Those come both sizes for laptop 2.5" as well as for 3.5" desktop drives. Some will take both types.

The idea behind going out to buy a separate external drive is being seen more by laptop users in particular to use as storage devices. You do that so if the main drive fails in actually both a laptop or desktop or you sell the present for a newer one you still have all files on the external drive.

That would be something for later consideration if you plan to run the laptop for any long term use. The first thing now however would be looking over the various makes and models as well as the type of enclosure you would need and how much you would spend. http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&Category=15&name=External-Enclosures

You can get usb data transfer cables. You just drop the software on both systems, plug in the cable and drag and drop from one machine to another. I have one and it get a work out on a regular basis. Best 35 bucks I ever dropped.

The advantage of going with an external enclosure over any transfer cable would be still being use for the drive after the files you want are copied off of it. If you are not going to run it on the desktop you already would see an external storage device added on.

The alternatives since you would likely want to return the drive back into the XP case would be later buying a separate drive for the enclosure you can use for a common storage/transfer drive. Or you can pick up a usb flash drive you can clip onto your belt in a pocket holder since those come in 4, 8, 16gb sizes and simply plug into a usb port.

Some 16gb flash drives like the Kingston Traveler 100 seen at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134721 are cost effective if you need to carry files with you.

if my opinion is wanted I shall give it...
depending on how much "data" you have, makes the difference.
If its over 100Gb or darn over 50Gb buy yourself an external. I just bought one and my goodness it makes me so happy best 100 bucks I have spent on a PC component for a long time. Also whats so good about them is since you stated you have a laptop, you won't have to fill that brand new laptop up with old documents. The external hard drive gives you the opportunity to save all those files via USB/Firewire 1394/eSATA and I think I'm missing one. But its great all you have to do is unplug grab it and take it with you. There a delight because now a days they make them so small there hardly bigger than a book... great for pics, games, documents, movies, music or all of those at the same time.

Not to mention when you go on vacation. Have all those movies for the plane ride...:) get rid of those DVD's. For the most part they are inexpensive and 1TB is enough space for pretty much everyone on this forum. I could be 100% wrong with that assumption, but I'll take a shot in the dark in saying that.

Are you kidding? I was considering a 2tb external but just added in a 1tb sata into the desktop here along with already having a 500gb usb external drive. I think I have the 2tb factor covered here aleady. :p

Are you just looking to migrate the files over?

If so it can be done over a network if you have one. No need to buy anything new, or spend money on CDs/DVDs

Back
Top Bottom