Could someone recommend me a new processor?

aerospac3

Beta member
As the title says, I'm looking for a new processor. My processor currently idles at around 15-20ish percent. I frequently play Call of Duty 4 and World at War, and multitask with iTunes, Zune, DVD work, etc. While I run these separately, my PC does fine, but when a couple of these programs are running, CPU usage goes to around 50 percent and spikes at 80. Programs then start to run at very slow speeds and occasionally crash.

My current setup:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @2.40GHz
Motherboard - Intel Corp. Model OEMD975XBGG1 (I don't know all the specifics, it came with a Gateway PC around 2 years ago if that helps :))
Memory - 4GB DDR2 Corsair running at 800MHz
Graphics Card - 8800GT Akimbo Superclocked
OS - Windows XP SP2 (I know this causes not all of my RAM to be used; Would it be worth it to upgrade to 64bit or Vista?)

Feel free to tell me if I need to upgrade something else instead, and if I missed some information don't hesitate to ask me. Thanks for looking!

that might not necesserily be a processor problem the cpu you have there is pretty capable

could be heat
virus/spywayre
unstable mobo
just to name a few things
could you use a program like pc wizard , everest , fan speed or real tempt to give us an idea of what temps everything is running at when it crashes

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, I will not be able to run anything tonight on that PC. I will get on it tomorrow though and tell you.

Hi Aerospac3, I noticed your PC setup says you are running memory at 800MHz. I was wondering if you did anything special since you have the same motherboard model number OEMD975XBGG1 as I do in my Gateway FX530. I thought our Intel 975x motherboard was only rated for 667MHz DDR2 memory. How did you get your memory to run at 800MHz in BIOS? Did you overclock your memory and if so what are your timings, etc. I just added some Patriot extreme performance DDR2 PC2-5300 overclockable memory. I will probably post about this in the memory forum area too, but did you set the memory performance BIOS screen frequency to 800MHz because I was wondering if I overclock my memory to get from 667MHz to 800MHz and increase the memory voltage, if the motherboard would accept that or lock up on me?

Ikaros, if you put higher speed RAM in a slot, designed for slower speed RAM, the high speed RAM will underclock itself to meet the motherboard speeds. I just thought you should know.

And I don't knwo why, But I can all of those programs on my computer which not as good as yours and my system is all still nice and speedy with that stuff running. And it does not sound like a processor problem to me either.

I know about that. I was just wondering what Aerospac3 meant in the first post saying his PC setup is running memory at 800mhz when he has the same motherboard as me spec'd for 667mhz memory. Sorry for going off topic but I noticed there is no dedicated memory forum and I'm brand new here. I should have PM'd him instead.

Back
Top Bottom