Very Strange Issue - 4GB ram

user12

In Runtime
asus A8N-SLI premium

AMD 4000
vista 64

When I install 4GB of ram i suddenly lose my Intel Pro MT 1000 gigabit PCI card. You can plug the network cable up to it - it detects link blinks etc. but WILL not take and IP address will only show "local access" from an windows auto config'ed IP. I've tried 4 cards and moved it around to all PCI slots with the same result.

Take 1 stick of memory out bringing me down to 3gb or anything under 4 and my PCI card works great.

Im forced to use my onboard LAN controllers now.

another strange issue is i've got a sound blaster PCI sound card that works fine.

That is an odd one. Try unistalling the drivers and physically removing the card. Reboot, then reinstall the card and it's drivers. maybe the system is having difficulty allocating physical address space for the PCI card.

On the other hand, I think you would be better off using the built in nForce Gigabit LAN. In my experience with that motherboard, it ran faster then the Intel counterpart in another system I had.

uninstalled drivers - reinstalled new drivers - the works.

im pretty sure its a problem with address space i just can't figure out how to fix it.

You've had an intel MT1000 too? For me its a really great gigabit card - no complaints. Thats kinda why i really wanna bring it back to life.

That an im a little bit anti-onboard.

Dont just uninstall the drivers, physically remove the card from the system, and reboot without it. Then shut down and reinstall the card. That should shake things up a bit and maybe it will correctly sort things out.

No need to be "anti-onboard". The current crop of onboard LAN devices work really well . They have comparable throughput and lower CPU utilization compared to most any add in cards. My wife's rig has a PRO/1000. Her connection was always slower than mine. Took me a while to find the right settings to speed the thing up. The nForce Gigabit solution was a screamer right from the get go.

Yep done that.

moved the card - booted without card - booted with 3 diff cards in all PCI slots.

even started disabling all the onboard stuff in hopes of freeing up some memory addresses.

im stumped.

What PCI cards do you have installed on that? Try booting with only the PRO/1000 card installed.

You have a motherboard with excellent LAN and audio capabilities, try using the onboard for a while to see how it goes. I'm not sure which Sound Blaster you have, so I can't comment on the sound quality difference.

XFi

I'm using the onboard now and everything works fine - I'd just like to get to the bottom of it, stuff that I can't figure out bothers me untill I fix it.

Yea, the X-Fi has much better sound quality than the onboard. I'd stick with that one.

If you're not using them, you could disable the serial ports in the BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom