Laptop all of a sudden running choppy

Kylecva

Solid State Member
I have a dell inspiron e1505 running xp sp3 and it seemed to be working fine. Last night the power cord came out and the laptop shut off. After I put it back in, it took forever to start up and now all my programs are running choppy. I scanned with avg and nothing came up so I'm not sure what to do at this point, any help is appreciated.

Mobile Intel Pentium M @1.6Ghz, 1G ram, onboard a/v. I'm not sure what other specs to give, let me know if I can tell you anything else.

could be a problem with the HDD than, when doing a bad shut down like that, the hard drive comes to a complete stop while the cd looking like thing inside spins. Its like you running at full speed and hitting a solid wall, coming to a complete stop. So your HDD maybe be damaged

no it can be fixed, just get a new HDD but you will have to order the part from DELL, so my best guess is you call them, tell them the problem, maybe they will tell you different but im guessing its the HDD, if they say the its the HDD than ask them where you can order a new HDD from them. Dell i hear need their special programmed parts or something like that, you cant just go out and buy a regular laptop HDD for a dell's laptop or desktop pc like other pc's out their.

when you took out the power cord it didnt put it onto a power saver battery plan did it?
try and put it on the highest performance.

Nope, no battery saver plan. I ran an error check and it found a couple corrupt files but did not fix the problem. I was gonna leave it on overnight to defrag, but I get an error message on startup now that says something to the effect of "The registry cannot load the hive file: \systemroot\system32\config\software or its log or alternate"

Is this an HD problem as well/can it be fixed?

personally i think its an HDD problem, it can be fixed but only by dell. In my opinion, dells are garbage, especially when it comes to upgrading it or switching out parts like in your case. You have to order parts straight from dell for a dell computer. Did you call them up yet ?

Back
Top Bottom