Hardware question

Celticsfan

Banned
I have a port (not sure what it is called) in the back of one of my computers which is for a phone line that is about 10 years old. Would I be able to put it in a computer that is about 3 years old and would it still work?

What is the port? Is it called a phone adapter? Is it considered a modem or a port used for a modem?

Please let me know.

thx

A modem? As long as it is a PCI modem and not the old plug and play type you will be able to put it in any computer. You will know the difference because plug and play slots are brown and pci slots are white. Just look at the slot that the modem is plugged into. My guess is that it's going to be a pci modem.

TB< Are you talking about the back of the pc or inside? If outsde, are u talking about the port itself?

thx

TB< Are you talking about the back of the pc or inside? If outsde, are u talking about the port itself?

thx
The modem itself is inside the pc, yes, but the port is on the outside. A pci modem looks like this:
RH56D-PCI.jpg

It kind of looks like that. Would it be about 61/4 inches long? That is what this one is. I think it is about 12 years old.

I have it in my hand now. Trying to look for a part number to find out what it is. I know it is 3com

it says 3com 40-0130-004 and below that it says 9711kg009 if that is any help

assuming it's a PCI modem, (and you have spare PCI slots) and you can find drivers for your OS then yes, you can put it in and it will work.

if it's an ISA slot then it's unlikely that your board will have this kind of slot, and if you can't find drivers for it then it'll be fairly useless.

Back
Top Bottom