Changes to CF

Well I'm not threatening to create a new forums and drag members out. I'm simply saying that I like change. If things don't ever change in this forum then I'll simply change forums. Don't get me wrong, I like this place. In fact, I want to improve it. However, if there's no room for improvement then I guess there's not a point into staying in a conservative society (not as in the political conservative).

I voted no. And I'll tell you right now that both of our layouts suffer a critical flaw that lowndsey pointed out. What happens if someone doesn't know whether its software or hardware?

Oh that's not even an issue. We can title a section called "Help For Newbies" or something. That should be the least of our worries.

**WARNING** WALL OF TEXT (Sort of)

Well to me it looks fine, but I haven't been here long. I agree on some aspects of the request, but maybe its not needed.

On the topic of newbs coming in and not knowing which is the correct section to put their problem in, how about putting a General Questions area, then moving the thread when the origin of the problem is discovered into its respective group.

**Example. 'My computer wont turn on.' **
(Ends up being a HDD problem)
We move it into the Hardware section.

This could work, and eventually people could learn where it goes without troubling the mod's to move it for them. I'm no computer genius, and have no previous knowladge of VBulliten, but it could work.

I dunno, still voted yes, so lets see what David does.

Moving threads like that would mean that we need very active mods and could be prove quite a bother. I think just a General Help section would be fine.

* Figure out the white screens - check the Event Viewer on the server as well as any MySQL or PHP error logs so you can try and find the root cause of the problems

Yes. These are annoying..
* Get rid of inactive mods and replace them with people who are actually here on a regular basis. There's a long list of folk who would kill for a mod job

Agreed too, would have to be a long discussion before any new mods were added though
* Update the logo, because it looks tired and amateurish. Why not have a competition for a new one?

Yes, this logo isnt brilliant.. would be good to fix it, and make it fit/right colour etc..
* Get rid of the broken links along the top

Yep, those are annoying
* Change the forum section descriptions to make them look more professional, fix spelling mistakes

Good idea.. the basic layout is good and clear, would just need a tweak
* Get rid of redundant or quiet sections

Mabye combine them into one section? the web sections down the bottom do not get that much usage - why not make it one big sub forum in the general hardware/software section?
* Get rid of the insane post report time limit - five minutes is far, far too long when there's a spam attack on the go as well as just being plain frustrating

Not sure - Never had to use, so can't comment
* Same goes for PMs - it's just irritating and unnecessary

Don't use PM's much, so it's not an issue for me, but it could do with being reduced a bit
* More ranks - you can have 1000 or 100k posts and still be a Guru

Yes.
* In fact, tweak the ranks - most "Guru"s here know nothing

Yes, true, and it just encourages spamming to reach 'guru' status.. could do with a re-vamp
* I have to say I agree with those who are saying the skin could do with being overhauled

I like the colour scheme here, but a VB upgrade would be useful
* Allow custom formatting in sigs, but not images

Not sure about this - i wouldn't like to see colours or huge fonts in sigs
* I would also say relax the avatar restrictions, the size limit (in terms of memory) is stingy and shouldn't really matter if we host our avatars offsite.

Memory yes, but no increase in physical size, it is hard to find a avatar with the file size small enough to use

Just a start.

We don't really have many active members at all, and a lot of our legacy pillars of the community have since vanished. Steff, Natalya, 99nasha, 135791, lurkswithin, Wombat, Paradox, webmonkey, joxley1990, blackjack, Lord Kalthorn... where did they go?

The good old days.......

edit.. the logo at the top has been changed :)

* Figure out the white screens - check the Event Viewer on the server as well as any MySQL or PHP error logs so you can try and find the root cause of the problems
Yeah, the white screens should be looked into. Who wants to join a site that's down half the time?
*Get rid of inactive mods and replace them with people who are actually here on a regular basis. There's a long list of folk who would kill for a mod job
Agreed.
* Update the logo, because it looks tired and amateurish. Why not have a competition for a new one?
Yeah, the logo has been the same since I came here in 2006 and it's starting to get old.
* Get rid of the broken links along the top
Agreed. Who actually clicks them anyway?
* Change the forum section descriptions to make them look more professional, fix spelling mistakes
A total revamp of the forums and their descriptions is a good idea.
* Get rid of redundant or quiet sections
I say trash those spammy Shared Hosting, Dedicated Hosting and Advertising boards altogether.
*Get rid of the insane post report time limit - five minutes is far, far too long when there's a spam attack on the go as well as just being plain frustrating
Agreed!
* Same goes for PMs - it's just irritating and unnecessary
Yeah. If PM spamming was a problem, maybe the limit could be removed after x number of posts or length of time as a member/status.
* More ranks - you can have 1000 or 100k posts and still be a Guru
Yeah... practically everyone is a Guru.
* In fact, tweak the ranks - most "Guru"s here know nothing
^
* I have to say I agree with those who are saying the skin could do with being overhauled
Multiple skins would be best - a light one, dark one, different styles/colors to satisfy everyone's tastes.
* Allow custom formatting in sigs, but not images
Don't really care either way, but it wouldn't hurt.
* I would also say relax the avatar restrictions, the size limit (in terms of memory) is stingy and shouldn't really matter if we host our avatars offsite.
Yeah, maybe an increase in the max resolution too.

Back
Top Bottom