Won't boot

DJM1972

Baseband Member
1-27-09 Won't Boot Missing or corrupt file

windows\system32\config\system This is what I get when I hit the power button. I've tried all my boot up floppies. I can't figure out how to get my pc to boot from the cd-rom drive. Does anyone know how to get a 10 year old Compaq pc to boot from the cd-rom dirve? I know sledge hammer it hehe. I think I have a virus, I started putting some software in and that's when it started messing up. Its gonna be a dad computer. I'm just gonna let him use it to put pictures in it. Something to keep him busy.

I know how to get into my other pc. But the boot screen stays on forever on this compaq

Go into the boot menu and change the boot sequence. I think its F2 or F12. Tap continuosly when booting up the computer.

when you start the computer the first screen should tell you what button to push to get to the bios menu. Ounce you get to the menu it should give you a boot option. select it and change the boot options.

Note: this is just a guess of what it might be

If you do think it was caused by a Virus and can't boot into Windows, you can use UBCD to run virus scans and stuff...even back up your files if you want to just reinstall Windows. You can find it here.

Yup but if it's a virus that's causing it, why repair if it's just going to happen again?

That's how it went with my LSASS.exe virus I had a while back (before I got into computers). I finally realized I needed to use MS-DOS to copy the real LSASS.exe file back to where it's supposed to be and my computer booted up, but then it just deleted it with the virus-laced LSASS.exe and I had to do it all over again. However, you are correct ringtemek in that once you clean the viruses/spyware out (if any, of course), then he should try and repair. If none of that works, just reformat and reinstall.

It's an old Intel Pentium ll
I have 2 pc's with that mother board
It's one hell of a mother board just to bad it wasn't about 5 gig's faster

I would format and reinstall but I can't get it to boot from the cd. I never did know how I ever installed that to begin with.

I'll give this a try thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom