Active members

webmonkey got banned for being naughty, 99nasha is around rarely, same with slayer, and now sadly thelis.
blackjack came back for a little while, now hes vanished again. as for the rest i havent seen them in a while.

that post really does say it all though ^

I've already posted a re-organized outline of how the forums should be grouped. I believe it to be effective.

Here's the post: http://www.computerforums.org/showpost.php?p=894867&postcount=30

I think UK's list is trivial. Some of these things need to be checked every year or so and I can't understand how it gets out of hand and is not completed. I understand that David is a busy guy and such, but can't all this be done in one day? The hardest thing would probably be the white screens, but the others shouldn't take very long. If by any miracle these changes do go through, I think we should definitely have some voting on mods, banner, and titles.

Personally I still think that the current activity bars are actually the same.

just if the forum here was updated to show the statistics in the same way it's show.

Threads: 78,099, Posts: 836,302, Members: 43,765 active members 9
Welcome to our newest member, MymnAssevem

it could be that that forum caters for a larger audience and has got five times as many threads, four times as many members, (in total) and twice as many posts. as to why the active count looks higher,
of, course it could just be a more popular forum to have 200 times more active members.

can you really truthfully say that if David re-arranged the stats box to look like that one that you'd be happier? what if he changed it to count all members that were posting or online in the last month, as david said earlier, then it's say.

Threads: 78,099, Posts: 836,302, Members: 43,765 Active members 1,500
Welcome to our newest member, MymnAssevem

but all that would do is make this place look more popular than it actually is.

personally, I think that since I've joined i've seen people come and go, but I think that the "active" members who come back, (at least the amount of them) stay the same.

Some of the suggestions above are good ideas though, I especially think that fixing the spelling mistakes would be a good idea.

that's also really simple.

Honestly, I think all of these formatting and visual element changes are irrelevant. What people come here for are solid answers to questions by qualified people. The idea that more people will sign up if they can do cool things in their signatures is kind of silly (I think). I was inactive for a while, and when I came back, it was almost the same, but whats wrong with that visually? Nothing.

Places like Experts Exchange are popular because they get questions answered. Sure the site looks kind of cool, but that gets in the way of finding the answers you're looking for quickly. If people come here and find the answer they're looking for, they'll come back. All we can do is provide said content. The site could perhaps use a visual re-design, but that should come second to catering to new users (while not forgetting about the older users).

Perhaps a section outside of the forum (pretty sure this has been suggested before) that has articles on how to do some complex things, or simple things (Polymorphism, Exchange over HTTPS on Exchange 03, first looks at new software, invite significant people within the I.T. community to write articles for our site, etc...). The faq section touches on this, but it doesn't go far enough. If we can develop something like an RSS feed with our RELEVANT articles, it will help establish us as an authority, plus it will make us appear more relevant to search engines.

I say fix bugs, add new content, seriously help new members or people with questions, then worry about the bells and whistles.

And I'm kind of hurt that you don't read the computer specs in my sig. ;)

Back
Top Bottom