Upgrading RAM *NEW

Daveo2k6

Beta member
Hey guys so I own a HP Pavilion tx1215nr tablet notebook, and i am looking to upgrade my ram/memory to its max. :D

On the HP site my specs say my max ram is 2GB but on another website it says my max is 4GB and i figured that just means i can put 2GB blocks in there. Because they stated "If 4GB is installed, the recognized memory may be reduced to 3.5GB or less."

So does this mean if i put in 4GB I could get more then 2GB like 2.2GB or something.. or would my laptop just recognize 2GB ram?

32bit O/S's can only "use" ~3.5GB of memory (this is your case if you have a 32bit Vista or XP). A 64bit O/S can "use" more than 3.5GB. I'm sure you can search google if you want the full explanation...otherwise someone on here will probably give it to you; but that's the gist of your situation.

32bit O/S's can only "use" ~3.5GB of memory (this is your case if you have a 32bit Vista or XP). A 64bit O/S can "use" more than 3.5GB. I'm sure you can search google if you want the full explanation...otherwise someone on here will probably give it to you; but that's the gist of your situation.

Ah okay okay.. So it would be a better idea to put 2 2GB block in thenn rightt?

Ah okay okay.. So it would be a better idea to put 2 2GB block in thenn rightt?

I'm not sure if you understood your sources correctly. The MAX amount of RAM supported by your computer is 4GB. That means 2 x 2GB. So ONE 2GB stick in one slot, ONE 2GB stick in the other for a total of 4GB. Hope that helps.

I'm not sure if you understood your sources correctly. The MAX amount of RAM supported by your computer is 4GB. That means 2 x 2GB. So ONE 2GB stick in one slot, ONE 2GB stick in the other for a total of 4GB. Hope that helps.

Yeah i understood that part but i was confused because on HP.com in my laptops specs it says max ram is 2GB. So i didnt know if i put in 4GB if there was a chance of getting more then 2GB.... ya know ha? I never have done anything like this before so i could just be confused and not know it ha

Ok, I get where you are confused.

Same thing happened when I recently upgraded RAM (old ddr400 junk) in my Dell. The Dell site said that it supported 2GB of memory. However, every memory dealer (Crucial, OCZ, Kingston, etc.) said that it supported 4GB. And then again, the same thing happened with an HP I just upgraded. So I think what happens is that the companies put "2GB (or whatever size)" maximum meaning PER slot--you double that to get the total.

Go to this sites below and find your model and whatnot and see what they recommend. Better to get information from more than one source before deciding...

Kingston
Crucial (my personal favorite laptop memory brand...it's what I put in ALL of my client's laptops)

Keep in mind, you don't have to get these brands or purchase directly from them, you are just checking limitations.

Newegg.com usually has the best prices on most everything.

Ok, I get where you are confused.

Same thing happened when I recently upgraded RAM (old ddr400 junk) in my Dell. The Dell site said that it supported 2GB of memory. However, every memory dealer (Crucial, OCZ, Kingston, etc.) said that it supported 4GB. And then again, the same thing happened with an HP I just upgraded. So I think what happens is that the companies put "2GB (or whatever size)" maximum meaning PER slot--you double that to get the total.

Go to this sites below and find your model and whatnot and see what they recommend. Better to get information from more than one source before deciding...

Kingston
Crucial (my personal favorite laptop memory brand...it's what I put in ALL of my client's laptops)

Keep in mind, you don't have to get these brands or purchase directly from them, you are just checking limitations.

Newegg.com usually has the best prices on most everything.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH! okay okay okay!!! I see max GB per slot is 2GB but total is 4GB

Sweet thanks a tonnn man

Back
Top Bottom