Limiting bandwith?

That wont solve the bandwidth issue dude. I'm wired into the router. Whenever the kid starts a download, things slow down to a crawl unless I have him limit the download speed in µTorrent.

Ah...it's probably because I based my post off of my old wireless-b for downstairs which gets like zero reception :p ...so using my wired connection I guess I always have a better bandwidth and the wireless really never "overtakes" me...

whoa? Wireless b??

Yea. You should def upgrade to at least wireless g if not n. Ur internet is not the problem, tis ur router

whoa? Wireless b??

Yea. You should def upgrade to at least wireless g if not n. Ur internet is not the problem, tis ur router

Haha...I know...but I have no use to upgrade. It's just wireless to an old gateway (originally with Win98) that's only used when little kids/relatives come over to give them something to do. The good computer downstairs is wired with Cat5 so that's not a problem.

Haha. I had to add "/relatives" to my post...I would have looked like a creepo if I just said "when little kids come over" :p

yea too bad shes in florida for vacation
Who pays for the internet connection, just to clarify? If you are leeching then you really have no right to access the router to control the bandwith nor to tell your roommate when she can dl or stream or whatever she does because you need the bandwith.

Who pays for the internet connection, just to clarify? If you are leeching then you really have no right to access the router to control the bandwith nor to tell your roommate when she can dl or stream or whatever she does because you need the bandwith.

Yup. That's what a few of us, including myself, have already posted above and I have to agree again. He's really go no right if he's a leecher.

I used to install security systems. Apartments offer some interesting moments but it can be done and hidden nicely.
Along the baseboards there is a gap between the bottom and the carpet. Nice little space to tuck a wire in to. To get past doorways you just take a pair of pliers and pull up the corner of the carpet right at the far side of the doorway. Bend a loop in the end of a coat hanger and feed it under the carpet. Loop the cable through the coat hanger and tape it on. Make sure if you use premade cables to tape up the end. You'll snap off the lock tab if you don't. Been there and done that more than once. Push the capet back down with a screw driver and keep on trucking.
It's time consuming and you have to be careful not to get snagged on the tack strips.

You can control bandwidth for certain applications through certain routers, but since you don't have access to yours you obviously can't. Also most of the routers that you can do it through are higher end routers, for example I can do it through mine but it is a gaming router so I can set up rules to dedicate more bandwidth when I start playing certain games.

Back
Top Bottom