4870 1GB GTA4 Issues

AMDpwnz0r

In Runtime
I just put in my HIS 4870 and when I am playing GTA4, I can't put all the settings on full or else the game becomes sluggish, Right now im running with them at Medium and its doing decent, I know this card can handle this game so I am wondering if its some other hardware affecting it. I AM running a 520Watt MasterPower PSU, but from what I have read online, people are running their 4870's fine with a 500W PSU. So my other guess could be my ram, its 3gb of Kingston Value ram, (PC4200) I am planning to upgrade to 4gb of G.Skill (pc2 8500) soon. Should this fix the problem?

I also am running DOD:S on full everything and that is running flawlessly. GTA4 is the only thing I am having problems with. I am using latest drivers off of ATI's website as well.

Thanks

Rig specs in sig

happens to many ppl no matter how powerful ur card is. GTA 4 is pretty buggy rite now. Upgrading ur ram won't do anything

I'm running what's in my sig and GTA4 has worked just fine for me...highest settings. But maybe I got lucky. As Atomic Rooster said, make sure you have the latest drivers. Never use the CD that comes with the video card...the drivers are almost ALWAYS outdated...

I do have the latest drivers, version 8.12, right off the site. A buddy of mine has a 8600GT and a 500W PSU but he is also running a watercooling system, and on his rig the 8600GT starves for power when its at maximum settings and starts to lag, so I am wondering if thats whats happening to me, but Im not even running a lot of stuff, just one HDD.

I even had the resources about 150ish lower than my max

Nah, I'm still thinking 500W is plenty...there's got to be an underlying issue here; either that, or it's the game itself. Do you have any other newer games to test on high settings to see if it's laggy?

I do have the latest drivers, version 8.12, right off the site. A buddy of mine has a 8600GT and a 500W PSU but he is also running a watercooling system, and on his rig the 8600GT starves for power when its at maximum settings and starts to lag, so I am wondering if thats whats happening to me, but Im not even running a lot of stuff, just one HDD.

I even had the resources about 150ish lower than my max

It's not your card, it's the game. The same thing happens for me. The drivers are getting a bit better. It's just going to take some time to iron the whole thing out. The programming wasn't done too well for the PC version.

Well, it runs fine on my HD 4850. I suggest you make sure you've uninstalled all the previous drivers and then install 8.12 again.
Uninstall the drivers through control panel - add/remove programs -> Reboot in safe mode and run Driver Sweeper -> Reboot and install 8.12 again.

I used to have issues like that until I installed 8.12.

id count yourself lucky that it runs well on medium, and just wait for some better patches/drivers to come out.
my laptop (in sig) can only handle low / medium (i keep it on low just so it runs as well as it can) and it looks fine.

Back
Top Bottom