Mouse and Keyboard problem

PokerDegenerate

Daemon Poster
Ok I just finished building my new rig and my mouse and keyboard inputs do not work...
My question is when I plug in my keyboard the lights come on for a second when I plug it in but then they go off. Is is possible it is just shorted or do you think that the inputs on the MoBo are bad?

I got Windows loaded since I have a usb mouse but I need my keyboard to create my administrator account to get everything started...

I'm not really worried about not using the inputs since the usb's work and I can just get a usb keyboard but just to set it up now is there anything I can do until I get to the store to get a new keyboard?

You cannot "hot swap" PS/2 devices. You'll need to turn off the computer to connect/disconnect a standard keyboards and mice. Otherwise they will not operate properly, if at all.

Ok I just finished building my new rig and my mouse and keyboard inputs do not work...
My question is when I plug in my keyboard the lights come on for a second when I plug it in but then they go off. Is is possible it is just shorted or do you think that the inputs on the MoBo are bad?

I got Windows loaded since I have a usb mouse but I need my keyboard to create my administrator account to get everything started...

I'm not really worried about not using the inputs since the usb's work and I can just get a usb keyboard but just to set it up now is there anything I can do until I get to the store to get a new keyboard?
If the inputs don't work then you should return your motherboard for a new one, but anyway, shut the pc down and plug everything in, then boot up. Like rooster said, you can't hot swap ps/2 devices unless you are using a ps/2 adapter on a usb keyboard or mouse, then you can hot swap them. But other than that they need to be plugged in when the pc starts.

Yeah they were already plugged in when I started it up...It was working fine for a few minutes and then it stopped I just went out and bought a wireless keyboard so I didn't have to RMA and now the friggen onboard ethernet don't work either...Now I guess I am going to have to RMA it...Oh well atleast everything else is working fine...Im glad its just those and not the whole board so I had no way of telling if all the other components were good....Crap I just realized I bought a builders version of Vista Well I guess now I gotta get ahold of Microsoft too...GRRRRRRRRR

Crap I just realized I bought a builders version of Vista Well I guess now I gotta get ahold of Microsoft too...GRRRRRRRRR

I wonder if you get the same board if it will matter...I'm not sure. But just tell the good ol' Indian person who answers at Microsoft that you got a virus and are reinstalling.

Back
Top Bottom