AVG - invalid update control?

beckybubbles

Beta member
Hi there,

Don't know if anyone else here is using the free version AVG? The last couple of days it won't update itself, and it keeps saying, "Invalid Update Control CTF file".

I'm using AVG 8.0.176 version.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks.

Mine didn't automatically update, but it worked when I manually updated it. It is probably just something to do with their server or the most recent updates.

I used to run AVG until I test drove Avira, I'm glad I did :)

http://www.filehippo.com/download_antivir/

And its free

twocents.gif

You need to rename/remove the CTF temp files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avg8\update\download….see more info below...

I am currently in process of trying out AVG free V8 for my laptop. I downloaded the software, no sweat. Tried to get some updates but every time I go to do so there is some cant connect with AVG and I cant even manually access AVG site at www.avg.com. I can virtually access any other site eexcept this one - whats is going on?

can anyone access avg site at moment because all i get is 'DNS error - server can not be found'?

It sounds like you might have a virus acting as a proxy server on your computer if you cant reach www.avg.com =(

Also, due to recent problems w/ AVG not updating, I have been sending all my home clients to www.avast.com I have had a lot more success with it catching viruses, and it updates with no problems.

You need to rename/remove the CTF temp files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avg8\update\download….see more info below...

Excactly! Once you delete the existing CTF Files,AVG Will Rebuild them and you shouldnt have a problem. Simply Go To: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avg8\update\download And Delete the CTF Files,mainly: avginfoavi.ctf avginfowin.ctf

Hi there,

Don't know if anyone else here is using the free version AVG? The last couple of days it won't update itself, and it keeps saying, "Invalid Update Control CTF file".

I'm using AVG 8.0.176 version.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks.

I had similar problems. I'm now using avast! and haven't looked back.

I recommend Avast! as well. Works perfect, and it found some stuff AVG Free didnt find on my lap top. I was surprised. Or if you don't mind spending some cash, get Kaspersky. I use that on my main machine. Expensive, but works great too.

Back
Top Bottom