New Build: You Decide!

Well I'm using on-board sound with my current comp, so if there is a soundcard installed on that motherboard i'm looking at, I might just stick with it. Does it affect greatly the sound of your mic to others, when playing online?

Not atall, people usualy install soundcards in there system to hook up their surrounds sound or extra speakers ect, for a good gaming experience or for music lovers. If I were you I would scrap the sound card and save £90 and just use the onboard sound.

Unless you're an audiophile, you won't really notice the difference between onboard and a sound card. You may at first, but I don't really think it's worth £90, especially on a budget like yours.
Build 1;
Processor: AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition Quad Core AM2 2.5GHz 2Mb L2 Cache - £133.40 www.novatech.co.uk
Motherboard: MSI DKA790GX - Socket AM2 - AMD 790GX - Dual DDR2 667/800/1066(only for AM2+) £97.75 www.novatech.co.uk
Case: Coolermaster Elite 335 Case £29.99 www.ebuyer.com
PSU: OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU £42.29 www.ebuyer.com
RAM: OCZ Gold Vista 4GB £34.49 www.novatech.co.uk
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Edition £87.40 www.novatech.co.uk
DVD R/W: LiteOn 22x DVDRW £17.25 www.novatech.co.uk
Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster X-FI XtremeMusic OEM £51.22 www.advancetec.co.uk
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 16Mb Cache Hard Drive SATAII 300MB/s £37.89 www.novatech.co.uk
Total: £531.68 (inc VAT)
Looks perfect. Drop the sound card if you want. It won't make a difference to the quality of your mic's sound online if that's what you want it for.

ok, I've finally decided on my PC set up, and am in the process of ordering all the parts. I've found a few things a little cheaper, like windows and the RAM so far, on ebuyer. Now I want a decent antivirus, I've used norton 360 before, I think it will run OK on my new PC and i trust it. Am I right? I'll get it ordered all together so it costs less on delivery

DVD DRIVE

Are these the same/any difference? Can save myself a few quid on ebuyer..

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?LIT-IHAP12
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/154832

Oh, and the case comes with a rear fan, but has space for a front 120mm fan. After reading reviews people suggest putting a front fan on to increase airflow. Is this necessary? I can buy one for around £9 and get that fitted. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get this right so I dont end up missing anything!

ok, I've finally decided on my PC set up, and am in the process of ordering all the parts. I've found a few things a little cheaper, like windows and the RAM so far, on ebuyer. Now I want a decent antivirus, I've used norton 360 before, I think it will run OK on my new PC and i trust it. Am I right? I'll get it ordered all together so it costs less on delivery
There are lots of free antivirus programs that do the job just as well.
AVG Free, Avast, Spyware S&D are just a few.
One is SATA and the other is IDE. IDE is a big thick ribbon cable which is ugly, hard to hide and just plain annoying. SATA all the way.
Oh, and the case comes with a rear fan, but has space for a front 120mm fan. After reading reviews people suggest putting a front fan on to increase airflow. Is this necessary? I can buy one for around £9 and get that fitted. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get this right so I dont end up missing anything!
It would be worth it to balance out the air pressure inside the case. Just a standard 120mm 1200RPM fan will be fine.

oops, I already went with the non-sata one. Thought that it would look better on the case, as the sata one is blue. As long as thats the only difference it should be okay. I ordered an extra fan, just a £9 one, should be fine. Pretty chuffed to be honest, my bank account isnt but oh well. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress! Be prepared for lots of questions!!

OK i'm back :D

I've got a fair bit of the stuff through. I'm just waiting for the motherboard and the DVD drive, which is taking its time coming. The only things i ordered from novatech. All the stuff I got from ebuyer came the next day, free delivery. So, not too happy with novatech right now, should really have paid the extra for these 2 parts on ebuyer and had them already.

Anyway, I'm too impatient and have begun doing the few things I can do without the motherboard, basically prepareing the case a bit, i've installed the PSU, and looking at maybe mounting the hard drive so I just need to plug that in once the motherboard is installed.

My question is, I got the hard drive just on its own, without any cables or anything? Is this normal? And will the motherboard come with the cables I need?

By the way, good shout on the case guys, really easy install. I ordered an extra front fan which I have no idea how to install. Any ideas? This is the case;

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151368

It comes with a space at the front of the case to fit it, but i cant see any screws to remove anything in order to get at this space! I've removed both sides of the case and still cant see anything. Any help appreciated!

Yeah like Worship said there is FREE antivirus programs out there that will do just as good if not better in some areas then norton, I personally have AVG 8.0 Free and have used AVG for years and never once have I had a problem with it.
THIS is a test that one of our members (NeoDude112320) did about free antivirus programs and is very helpful...

Usually the people in the reviews are giving good pointers and this happens to be one of them. It is a good idea to add the extra fan to give it some more airflow and keep your temps down a little bit.

Don't be sorry for asking too many questions if you are unsure that is what we are here for to learn and make sure everything we are doing is right...I'm sure you would feel a lot worse not asking and messing something up. There is no such thing as too many questions...:D:D:D

how do i fit the new fan? anyone know how to get to the front bit of this case as it is all sealed off, cant see anything to help me get to the designated area for a front fan?

And do i need to get a seperate cable for my hard drive or will the motherboard have one? as my hard drive didnt come with any cables

how do i fit the new fan? anyone know how to get to the front bit of this case as it is all sealed off, cant see anything to help me get to the designated area for a front fan?
The plastic front of the case snaps off from the frame. There are a few little plastic plugs that you've go to squeeze to get it to come off.
And do i need to get a seperate cable for my hard drive or will the motherboard have one? as my hard drive didnt come with any cables
All cables and screws will come with the case and motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom