Help me choose hardrive(s)

DarkVenom

Baseband Member
Is it better to have a single WD Velociraptor 150GB or two 7200RPM in RAID 0?

Guys, please help me this is the last aspect I need to take on to complete the parts list and order the computer.

How easy is it to RAID in this motherboard?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186163&Tpk=foxconn bloodrage

Rest of the Components:
Intel i7 920 / Thermalright 120 Extreme
Foxconn BloodRage x58 Mobo
6GB OCZ DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 260 Core 216
Xigmatek 750W
Lian Li PC-V1010B

RAID0 essentially double's your speed but it also double's the risk of you loosing your data. I'd recommend one drive for now. If you do end up doing raid0, i recommend having a couple more drives in raid1 for data backup where you can store an image of the drives, so if one fails, you can reload the image and not have to reinstall any software.

RAID on that motherboard should be straight forward as the others. It's usually just a matter of using the built in software. Just select the drives you want, the RAID setup you want, and hit create. It's that simple.

How much of a risk is it?

I also have a 500GB Seagate 7200.10 that I could use for backup, would that be a 0+1 RAID (2 drives in RAID 0 + 1 for backup). Don't have an idea about how this works.

Thanks!

Ive ran Raid 0 for about 7 months and ive had 2 drive failures. To me its not a big deal since my RAID 0 only has my OS and other applications so if i fails i can just do a clean install. I also RAID 1 for my precious files ( music, pic, etc.). I wouldnt recommend running RAID 0 unless you dont care if it fails or if you have a back up

if you want a lot of speed
buy a "cheep" 60G ssd and then buy a 500G cheep hd
that will give you a lot of speed and a lot of storage

Back
Top Bottom