Buying a new computer...HELP!

AlStar250

Solid State Member
Hey everyone, some of you may remember me from my earlier thread about my CPU dying and my current economical situation that has me on a VERY limited budget. Well I have been blessed to have my best friend helping me out and allowing me to use her RCWILLEY card and help me purchase a new computer. I have roughly 500 to spend and there are really only 2 choices as this place is more known for couches than computers... Here are the choices :

HP Pavilion a6530f - $599
* AMD Phenom X3 8450 / 2.1 GHz 64bit
* Chipset : NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE / nForce 430
* Installed RAM Size 4 GB / 8 GB (max) PC2-6400 800mhz
* 640 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-300 - 7200 rpm
* Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Shared video memory (UMA)
* Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition

HP Pavilion a6700f - $559
* AMD Phenom X4 9150e 1.8 GHz
* Socket AM2+
* Chipset : NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE / nForce 430
* Installed RAM Size 4 GB / 8 GB (max) PC2-6400 800mhz
* 500 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-300 - 7200 rpm
* Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Shared
* Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition

Compaq SR5610F - $399
* AMD 2.5GHz Athlon 64, X2 Dual Core 4800
* Chipset : NVIDIA GeForce 6150 / nForce 430
* Installed RAM Size 3GB 667MHz DDR2
* 320 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-300 - 7200 rpm
* Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE
* Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-bit)

I added the 3rd option as it's 160-200 dollars less and it has a EIDE connector so I can add my old HDD (160gb) as a storage device bumping HDD space to 480 total

Alright, well what do you want.

If you want more overall processor power, go for option 2, but if you want more HDD space, go for 1. Other than that they specs are exactly the same.

Alright, well what do you want.

If you want more overall processor power, go for option 2, but if you want more HDD space, go for 1. Other than that they specs are exactly the same.

I added a 3rd option as it's 160-200 dollars less and it has a EIDE connector so I can add my old HDD (160gb) as a storage device w/o having to buy anything else but the OS is only 32bit, is that HUGE?

What is more important between HDD space and processing power? I do homework, surf the web, burn DVD's, and will eventually like to edit home movies from my SD card Camcorder but I don't have the software yet. Wouldn't it be easier to just add a USB HDD later for more space? Is there a BIG difference between the processors in either option #1 or #2... and for that matter #3?

why not build your own? you can get better than that custom built.

I am on a VERY limited budget and I can make payments on that credit card in tune with my monthly financial allowances. So while I'd love to build one...err, have one built for me...lol this is the only viable solution at this point.

I understand but my computer was way better than those and cost me about 500-600 with the OS. I will give a config. if you want.

why not build your own? you can get better than that custom built.

Second that! I built mine (specs below) for £400 and i would say that kicks all those other systems a** if you dont mind me sayin lol but if not then option 2 ;)

I understand but my computer was way better than those and cost me about 500-600 with the OS. I will give a config. if you want.

I can pay approx $50/month on a ZERO interest 12 month loan and be up and running tomorrow. I understand what you are trying to do and thanks, but it is what it is...

I am on a VERY limited budget and I can make payments on that credit card in tune with my monthly financial allowances. So while I'd love to build one...err, have one built for me...lol this is the only viable solution at this point.

building a computer is cheaper..the only thing is u'll have to assemble it yourself..which isn't that difficult but can be a little scary the 1st time.

downside to building a computer yourself is that you don't have a OS that comes with it.

if u know how to build a computer yourself..u should definitely consider it.

also if u'r in the market for a laptop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834147926
is pretty good. i'll be buying that tomorrow.

Oh yeah. I kind of forgot that you had to make payments. I am not sure but you could probably get a custom one from Ibuypower and make payments. But not sure though.

Back
Top Bottom