External Hard drive

Jaymo

Baseband Member
Hi guys,

I've taken the hard drive out of my laptop as its died on me and placed the hdd into an external case so i can use it as an external hdd. I'm a bit confused though at the moment because i have connected it up to my pc as the external but when i go to access my documents folder it comes up with access denied and it won't let me access the folder full stop.

any ideas how i can access this folder?

I have a feeling you are on Vista.

If you are, are you on an administrator account?
If yes and it is still giving you the error, you might have to edit your permissions for your account towards that drive.

Steps to edit permissions.

1. Go to My Computer.
2. Right click the drive you want to edit the permissions on and select Properties.
3. Go to the Security tab.
4. Click the edit button.
5. Select the 'Administrators' option in the menu.
6. Under the 'Allow' section, click the 'Full Control' box.

This should give you permissions on that drive.

Hope I helped!

:)

Misread the post.

Follow the above steps for whatever you need done.
Ex. Instead of right clicking the Hard Drive, right click the My Documents folder.

Hope this helped!

:p

I have a feeling you are on Vista.

If you are, are you on an administrator account?
If yes and it is still giving you the error, you might have to edit your permissions for your account towards that drive.

Steps to edit permissions.

1. Go to My Computer.
2. Right click the drive you want to edit the permissions on and select Properties.
3. Go to the Security tab.
4. Click the edit button.
5. Select the 'Administrators' option in the menu.
6. Under the 'Allow' section, click the 'Full Control' box.

This should give you permissions on that drive.

Hope I helped!

:)

Misread the post.

Follow the above steps for whatever you need done.
Ex. Instead of right clicking the Hard Drive, right click the My Documents folder.

Hope this helped!

:p

thanks for the reply but i am not on vista im on xp home edition - and also the drive isn't dead. It was taken straight from my laptop placed into an external hdd case and plugged via usb into my pc.

The laptop hdd has 3 partitions on it and it will allow me access to every folder except my original one within my documents and there is about 20gb of stuff in there......any ideas?

hi again,

i think i found the solution to this problem;

here is the link encase anyone else has the same type of problem in the future: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881

Back
Top Bottom