To build or not to build.

I also have a kinda unrelated question, and I admit it sounds kinda stupid now that I think of it, but like I said, I am no expert... But My internet is DSL, so if I were to get a modem and hook it up through the phone line in another room of my home as my Original Desktop that is currently hooked up to the DSL, would I be able to use the DSL there as well through the phone line, or would I have to do something a bit more complicated. Thanks for humoring me =X.

not sure about that but if you have DSL you should already have a modem or a router, if you have a router and your other computer has an ethernet port, just buy an ethernet cable and plug one end into the router and the other into the other pc and you'll get a connection

Well, I have a router, and a modem and all, and I would hook it up via an ethernet cord, but it will be on the second floor, and the existing modem is on the first floor.

As Techmaster alluded to, you'll need either another modem or a router to connect another PC to your DSL. You can't just plug a "phone line" into your computer to access the internet. I'm not sure if your DSL service will allow a second modem hook-up, but a wireless router would be a wise investment. That way you can access the internet connection from any room in the house with a computer or laptop that has a wireless adaptor.

hmmm im no expert in that area, but they do sell long ethernet cables, it just sucks to have a cable going all the way upstairs. My 360 and other computer are in seperate rooms, all have an ethernet cable leading from my router, but i live in florida so its rare to see houses with a second floor.

As Techmaster alluded to, you'll need either another modem or a router to connect another PC to your DSL. You can't just plug a "phone line" into your computer to access the internet. I'm not sure if your DSL service will allow a second modem hook-up, but a wireless router would be a wise investment. That way you can access the internet connection from any room in the house with a computer or laptop that has a wireless adaptor.

ya thats not to bad, but i hate wireless, not sure how it is with wireless routers but wireless keyboards and mouses suck, at least for gaming

AR, I know that, thats why I asked if I would have to get a second modem. I currently have a wireless router, which I use with my laptop. One thing I didn't know though, is that I could use a Desktop to connect to the router wirelessly? if so, that is great.

I also use my router for my 360, and it works great =P. I like to think im not totally technologically dumb, But i admit, I don't know a lot about the physical aspects of a computer.

AR, I know that, thats why I asked if I would have to get a second modem. I currently have a wireless router, which I use with my laptop. One thing I didn't know though, is that I could use a Desktop to connect to the router wirelessly? if so, that is great.

I also use my router for my 360, and it works great =P. I like to think im not totally technologically dumb, But i admit, I don't know a lot about the physical aspects of a computer.

its all good man, everybody has to learn new things at some point. We where all dumb in computers before we started learning about them.

All you need to connect your desktop is a wireless adapter.

For example: D-Link WDA-1320 PCI Wireless G Desktop Adapter

or if you dont want to spend that much, you can always go cheap and get something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189042

Ahhhh very nice, this is perfect. Thanks a lot guys. And after reading that guide, I am looking at building my own as a serious option now. I'll have to start learning up a bit more first though. Again, thanks a lot for all the help already =).

Ahhhh very nice, this is perfect. Thanks a lot guys. And after reading that guide, I am looking at building my own as a serious option now. I'll have to start learning up a bit more first though. Again, thanks a lot for all the help already =).

yup no problem and $2,000-$2,500 will be more than enough to build a nice PC. You will be able to run all those games you mentioned on full settings, depending on the card you purchase and your monitor screen size. I prefer Nvidia cards because of better drivers. Also if you are ever looking at cases, take a look at the Antec Twelve Hundred, thats what i currently have and its the best case i have ever used, if you ever want to see some pics, just PM me. That price range is good though, and good luck on your build.

Back
Top Bottom