To build or not to build.

GKil164

In Runtime
Hey, as you can see, I am very new to these forums, so I would like to say Hi first of all.

Now, I have been in the market for a new computer recently, my current laptop is working fine, but I have decided it is time for an upgrade. I am looking mainly for a desktop, and have in the past mainly stuck with Dell (this is my 3rd dell computer), but I recently started looking at Alienware more. I will be doing a bit of gaming, so it seemed pretty logical for me, and my budget would be anywhere close to $2,500. However, after looking around a bit, I saw most people saying it would be better to custom build your own computer. Now here is my only problem with that;
I have no extreme knowledge on how to build a computer, and pretty limited knowledge on the hardware in a computer. So, I wouldn't be too pleased if I went forth and spent money on the parts only too find myself in the deep end.
So, should I play it safe and just buy an alienware, or attempt to build a computer myself?

Thanks,
Keith

There are plenty of guides to teach you how to build a computer step by step. Putting parts together isn't too hard. You see what matches what and attach the pieces nice and easy. As far as the cable goes, the motherboard manual should be able to instruct you on how to connect them. The biggest advice I can give you is to be patient.

As far as the shopping for parts and troubleshooting go, we're here for that. Just post what games you will be looking to play and whether you want to max out your budget or just build a high end computer while keeping under the budget. Also tell us whether you need just a tower or peripherals.

Hey, as you can see, I am very new to these forums, so I would like to say Hi first of all.

Now, I have been in the market for a new computer recently, my current laptop is working fine, but I have decided it is time for an upgrade. I am looking mainly for a desktop, and have in the past mainly stuck with Dell (this is my 3rd dell computer), but I recently started looking at Alienware more. I will be doing a bit of gaming, so it seemed pretty logical for me, and my budget would be anywhere close to $2,500. However, after looking around a bit, I saw most people saying it would be better to custom build your own computer. Now here is my only problem with that;
I have no extreme knowledge on how to build a computer, and pretty limited knowledge on the hardware in a computer. So, I wouldn't be too pleased if I went forth and spent money on the parts only too find myself in the deep end.
So, should I play it safe and just buy an alienware, or attempt to build a computer myself?

Thanks,
Keith

First of all, welcome to the forums.

And luckily, building your own compute is very self-explanatory. there are many guides on the internet worth talking a look at and this forum will be very helpful. I built my first computer and did not really know how. I just had to look where things go and plug & screw them in correctly and your pretty done. If want want build advice many people including would be glad to help you.

Cheers, 63083.

Well, I am looking to build the best computer I can that will be anywhere around 2,000, and with a max of 2,500 (im willing to go a little over). And I would be looking to play probably games like CSS, Halo 3, COD4, Fallout 3, stuff like that. And I will need an entire computer, so I would need to buy everything from a motherboard to graphics cards to a case. I'm just concerned like I said about messing up and having wasted all that money. But if I can find some good enough guides, and some suggestions on hardware to get the most bang out of my buck, I would be really excited to make my own.

I also want a computer that functions really well to do normal things, and possibly edit video and such. I just need an overall fast performing computer, that can deliver. if that makes sense.

Yup, what they said. It's really not that difficult to build your own system. Here's a nice site that will show you all that's involved: MY SUPER PC - How To Build A PC - A Computer Building Guide

There is also a very nice alternative to Alienware for those who really aren't inclined to build their own. Have a look through the systems offered by iBUYPOWER. They are fully configurable and very reliable. They also have great customer service.

If you want we can post up some guides so you can have a read through them. Once you're done you can decide on whether or not you want to build your own. Sounds good?

Well that sounds good to me, I'm just glad i stumbled onto this website so I might have an alternative to shelling out so much money for a premade.

Recently, low end pre-builts offer little to no advantage over building your own. However in your case, there is a noticeable difference. Just have a read through AR's guide and tell us what you think.

all i can say is have patience, dont get mad or frustrated because one wire doesnt go somewhere, remember not all the wires will be used. Have patience and if you have a problem, just come on this forum and make a thread, their is a lot of people here that will be more than happy to help you out. It is not that difficult, just gotta know what wire goes where. Atleast some basic knowledge. Also remember when put in the CPU cooler, dont put on a lot of thermal compound, a little bit is good enough.

I also have a kinda unrelated question, and I admit it sounds kinda stupid now that I think of it, but like I said, I am no expert... But My internet is DSL, so if I were to get a modem and hook it up through the phone line in another room of my home as my Original Desktop that is currently hooked up to the DSL, would I be able to use the DSL there as well through the phone line, or would I have to do something a bit more complicated. Thanks for humoring me =X.

Back
Top Bottom