PC Continuously Restarting

RVFmal

Baseband Member
I am now at my wits end.

Have an older PC with Windows 2000 Pro SP4 installed. It boots perfectly into windows and to the destop, but just after completing, it atomatically shuts down and restarts.

I have checked all the usual susects and all the hardware works without hitch so it seems to be a software probel amd I'll be d@mned if I know what it is. When I boot into Windows in safe mode it works perfectly.

If I go into the evnt viewer there are a large number or errors from the Source, Service Control Manager - numbers range between 7000 and 7026

There are some nasty script kiddies out there, and this is one of the things they like to do. I have heard of people making simple scripts to execute like this on startup. The fact that it is OK in safe mode furthers my conclusion.
If this is not the case I cannot help you, but if you have no files you want to keep, then a reinstall might be in order to save you time.

There are some nasty script kiddies out there, and this is one of the things they like to do. I have heard of people making simple scripts to execute like this on startup. The fact that it is OK in safe mode furthers my conclusion.
If this is not the case I cannot help you, but if you have no files you want to keep, then a reinstall might be in order to save you time.

Do not really want to go the route of a reinstall to be honest. Any way to get rid of the script without having to do a reinstall?

Why not boot to safe mode then do a system restore? Or is that not working either?

Is there a system restore option in Windows 2000? I had no idea. Will all the data be safe and do I need the original discs?

Edited to add: Mods, just realised I posted this in Networking. Please can it be moved to the relevant topic.

id go to start>run>and type "msconfig"
go to startup, and make sure theres no nasties there. if there is then untick them and see if it boots normally. if not, then just run any virus checkers you can get your hands on. id suggest avg free, or nod32 (either buy it or download it not so legally), and hijackthis (go to www.hijackthis.de and post the logfile there).
a reinstall would always be the best option, but just start by running a few scans and see what happens.

id go to start>run>and type "msconfig"
go to startup, and make sure theres no nasties there. if there is then untick them and see if it boots normally. if not, then just run any virus checkers you can get your hands on. id suggest avg free, or nod32 (either buy it or download it not so legally), and hijackthis (go to www.hijackthis.de and post the logfile there).
a reinstall would always be the best option, but just start by running a few scans and see what happens.

Windows 2000 Pro does not have the functionality to run msconfig from the run command.

Have loaded Spybot, Adaware and run the anti virus programs to no avail. Will try hijack this this evening.

I have had a similar problem on a friend's computer. Some window would pop up from time to time saying there's a key logger trojan on the computer so I decided to go into msconfig (it's an xp puter) to see what I could see and, as soon as I typed msconfig and hit enter, it would restart. Figured it was part of the/a virus and, since it wasn't my computer, I just left it at that. I'll keep an eye on this thread out of curiosity!

you cant run msconfig in windows 2000 :confused: ive learnt something new. ive been using it in windows 98, xp, vista.

Right. Problem solved.

I slaved the drive to another PC running XP Pro with AVG anti-virus, Spybot and Adaware. Ran all three proggies and lo and behold - many nasties residing on the drive.

Did a complete clean up, popped it back into the PC from whence it came and voila! Boots up perfectly!

Really should have guessed at the fact that it was not hardware related due to it getting all the way to the desktop and then going through the whole shut down sequence.

Back
Top Bottom