Drops connection randomly.

Rmp5s

In Runtime
I have an HP desktop that I love (runnin good ol' XP) that will randomly drop the internet connection from time to time. I have 10meg cable internet and the computer is running cabled straight off the modem. For whatever reason, randomly (and not even all that often), it will lose the connection to the internet and need to be restarted.

What can I check/change to remedy this problem? Any tips/hints greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

--Brent

It could just be your ISP. Or it could possibly be your modem, when your internet drops off does your cable tv still work?

It could just be your ISP. Or it could possibly be your modem, when your internet drops off does your cable tv still work?

Tv still works. I'm 99.9% sure it isn't anything to do with the modem or ISP because, all I have to do to remedy the problem is restart the computer. If it is the modem or ISP, wouldn't I have to restart THOSE?

--Brent

Its the isp. There dropping your connection some times. Almost every isp does it. Go to google and type in something like "free network pinging to stop me from being disconnected software."

Have you tried re-booting your cable modem/router? I would try that first, then you eliminate your device as the problem point and you know it's something (maybe) on the computer.

I had a problem similar to that once and my connection was also really slow. It ended up being my modem. I think it was like 7 years old or something lol

Back
Top Bottom