OS system Purchase Questions

PokerDegenerate

Daemon Poster
What is the difference between an OEM version of vista and the Retail version and why is there such a big price difference?

I think the big difference other than the fact you don't get the box it comes in or any supported documentation the retail might come with, is that you can only (legally) install an OEM version on ONE PC.

If your PC dies or you upgrade you are supposed to buy a new OS disc. But you may be able to call Microsoft and get them to allow you to activate it if you upgrade, you just have to call them.

RETAIL versions can be migrated from one PC to another but you must uninstall from the old PC first and then install on the new one. There used to be a 120-day time limit between migrations, but I'm not sure if this still applies.

EDIT: You also forfeit the support of Microsoft with an OEM version.

I cant remember of the top of my head, But one version can only be installed once. The other can be installed multiple times, but can only be running on one machine.

Here is a cool little comparison chart.

2qdwn74.jpg

Also you cannot return OEM software once opened. You open it then you have bought it.

OK so would it be better to go with the Retail version just to be safe or is it fine to just get the OEM since I really only plan on putting it on 1 computer anyways? I mean as long as I don't plan on putting it on another computer it should be fine right? Now netbooger you said that if you upgrade you are "supposed" to buy a new version. Now is that for ALL upgrades including GPU's, DVD drive, Sound cards and other peripherals or is it for just MoBo, CPU and HDD's

OK so would it be better to go with the Retail version just to be safe or is it fine to just get the OEM since I really only plan on putting it on 1 computer anyways? I mean as long as I don't plan on putting it on another computer it should be fine right? Now netbooger you said that if you upgrade you are "supposed" to buy a new version. Now is that for ALL upgrades including GPU's, DVD drive, Sound cards and other peripherals or is it for just MoBo, CPU and HDD's

Just the first Motherboard it is installed on. You can upgrade your other hardware as far as I know. But once you install it the first time it is tied to that Motherboard.

At the same time though there are many people that have put OEM versions on new computers, they just had to call Microsoft to get it activated. I have yet to hear anyone being turned down. Is it legal, well not according to their EULA, but is it doable....yes.

Just the first Motherboard it is installed on. You can upgrade your other hardware as far as I know. But once you install it the first time it is tied to that Motherboard.

At the same time though there are many people that have put OEM versions on new computers, they just had to call Microsoft to get it activated. I have yet to hear anyone being turned down. Is it legal, well not according to their EULA, but is it doable....yes.

Oh Ok well as long as it is just the Mobo its fine with me then because by the time I get another Mobo i'm sure 7 will be out...:D :D :D

Oh Ok well as long as it is just the Mobo its fine with me then because by the time I get another Mobo i'm sure 7 will be out...:D :D :D

I personally would just go with the OEM version. But if you feel you need the SWEET Box, non-existent manual, and Microsoft's stellar tech support then go for the Retail version.

If you don't want to purchase right now, you could use the Beta for Windows 7 (or whatnot)...just do some googling. I DL'ed it from Microsoft the other day but have not installed it yet. Only bad thing is that it runs out in August...so you'd have to have another solution by then.

Back
Top Bottom