Need Help Installing Drivers

Maximo

Beta member
I reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP Pro on a Dell Inspiron 9400 because it had too much junk on it and needed a clean slate. The Dell CD is who knows where(lost), so I made sure to write down what devices I had before cleaning it.
Right now I am try to find/install the network controller driver for:

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

...I have found a couple of sites with the specified driver, downloaded them, put them on a cd, and tried to install them on the laptop. When I chose to "install from a specific location"(cd) it didn't find any drivers.

My frustration is that I can't connect to the internet without it.
Any info/advice would be great.

I assume that the file is not zipped. If it is you will need to unzip it first. Otherwise have you tried installing it through your device manager?

To get to device manager follow these steps:

Go to Start
Right click My Computer
Select Properties
Select the Hardware Tab
Choose Device Manager
Find you Nic and Right Click
Choose Update Driver

I assume that the file is not zipped. If it is you will need to unzip it first. Otherwise have you tried installing it through your device manager?

To get to device manager follow these steps:

Go to Start
Right click My Computer
Select Properties
Select the Hardware Tab
Choose Device Manager
Find you Nic and Right Click
Choose Update Driver

Yes, I've unzipped the files, gone to the update driver process and when I specify the file's location it searches and doesn't find it.
I'm not aware of any other way to install the driver without using the device manager. And the device isn't that hard to find drivers for, so that's why I'm trying to figure out why it's not working.

Back
Top Bottom