Need help setting up my File Server.

LukaszR1

Fully Optimized
Ok so i have windows server 2003 installed on my server. Right now i have it set up on my network @ home, but once i go to school or work i no longer can access it on my laptop.

Can someone please in detail help me make my server accessible anywhere in the world? I know i will have to create a Active Directory and make my server a domain access controller.

Anyhow, can someone please PM me or simply respond to this thread willing to help me step by step accomplish this?

I will be using http://www.dyndns.com/ for the domain/DNS settings.

Thanks!

Are you trying to set up FTP?

I have the same set up right now. I have Windows Server 2003, with FTP set up and also a Web Server. I also have used DynDns to allow me to connect from outside my network.

Are you trying to set up FTP?

I have the same set up right now. I have Windows Server 2003, with FTP set up and also a Web Server. I also have used DynDns to allow me to connect from outside my network.

FTP...i don't think so. I am trying to be able to access my "Mapped Network Drives" on my laptop at school. These mapped network drives are physical drives on my server @ home, which i can connect to on my laptop when i am physically on my network. I want to be able to access these network drives @ school and anywhere else for that matter.

Sorry if i am not explaining this very well. hopefully now i am more clear.

So you want a remote file server then?

You won't be able to access your mapped drives the same way you do when you are on your network though. This is because the path's will be different. You can either use FTP and put what files you want to be able to access that way, or you can set the RAS service.

What OS do you have on your laptop?

I am using xp professional on my laptop.

What is this RAS service? i think i have heard of it...but how exactly do i set it up?

You could also set up a VPN connection so that you can "dial in" to your server from anywhere. You need to establish a static IP with your ISP on the server's end, then you'll need to forward the port 1723 to your server on the internal network (I assume you are running the server behind some sort of router on an internal IP range). You also need to set up at least one account in Active Directory which can dial in. On that account, click on properties, and there should be a dial in tab, and in there, enable dial in access. Now you should be able to remote access by setting up a new connection on your satellite computer (VPN connection) and using the static IP and your user / pass you set up in Active Directory

Back
Top Bottom