Vista Update Problems...Corrupt O/S?

I could be wrong but if your laptop came pre-installed then trying to use that OEM key isn't going to work with a non OEM disk.

Okay. Let me explain again. My friend's laptop has whatever Vista was installed on it from factory (probably a 32bit of somesort--vista home basic or premium?...not sure...I'd let you know but I don't have it yet). I have the Vista Ultimate disc (the one with all versions or whatever). If I can't get his update to complete, then I'm hoping to be able to REinstall the version of Vista that's on his laptop with HIS KEY, HIS LAPPY, BUT MY DISC. That's the basis of this I guess.

Okay. Let me explain again. My friend's laptop has whatever Vista was installed on it from factory (probably a 32bit of somesort--vista home basic or premium?...not sure...I'd let you know but I don't have it yet). I have the Vista Ultimate disc (the one with all versions or whatever). If I can't get his update to complete, then I'm hoping to be able to REinstall the version of Vista that's on his laptop with HIS KEY, HIS LAPPY, BUT MY DISC. That's the basis of this I guess.

XP you would not be able to do this because his laptop came pre-installed and the OS key is tied to that OEM version of the OS. I don't know if Vista is the same way that XP is because I haven't tried it and I have heard other people say yes it will work or no it won't.

I am not familiar with a Vista disc that has all versions of the OS. Not saying it doesn't exist, I just have not seen or heard of it.
EDIT for last comment: I found out the disc is actually called a Windows Anytime Upgrade disc, so disregard my last remark.

XP you would not be able to do this because his laptop came pre-installed and the OS key is tied to that OEM version of the OS. I don't know if Vista is the same way that XP is because I haven't tried it and I have heard other people say yes it will work or no it won't.

I am not familiar with a Vista disc that has all versions of the OS. Not saying it doesn't exist, I just have not seen or heard of it.
EDIT for last comment: I found out the disc is actually called a Windows Anytime Upgrade disc, so disregard my last remark.

yeah like i said before..the cd key will work as long as it has not been used more than 5 times...

try uninstalling the last few updates, then run again. Make sure you grab all the optional updates as well.

Ok well, I got the lappy today and it's still getting stuck doing update 3 of 3--sticks at 0%.

Starting in Windows Safe Mode doesn't help (as someone mentioned above)..it still tries to install updates and gets stuck. :S

Anyone have any new ideas?

yeah like i said before..the cd key will work as long as it has not been used more than 5 times...
The OEM key from the install on the laptop will not work with dude_56013's Vista Ultimate disc.

Try this, place your Vista in the drive and boot to it. Choose the "Repair your computer" option. Click next on the next screen, and then choose System Restore from the System Recovery dialog. Choose a restore date from before he started having problems.

Try this, place your Vista in the drive and boot to it. Choose the "Repair your computer" option. Click next on the next screen, and then choose System Restore from the System Recovery dialog. Choose a restore date from before he started having problems.

I was really hoping this would work but when I booted to it it errored and said that the CPU didn't support 64bit windows yada yada! I could've sworn my disc had all versions on it...hmm. Would Pirate Bay have an OEM version of Vista that I could use possibly? It's Home Basic BTW....ugh. I've had so much trouble with installing or updating vista...the actual O/S is nice, but for godssake....

Back
Top Bottom