OCing my E8400...

Yes, Intel have confirmed that 100c is the correct TjMax.
Okie doke...changed it.

Start with the stock voltage of 1.15V, and ramp up the FSB as high as you can with the 9x multi. If you've got a gem on your hands, you might get to 3.6GHz with 1.15V, if not, increase core voltage accordingly.
What temps should I expect at 3.6Ghz? I know every CPU is a bit different (difference batches, etc.) but is there a ballpark estimate I should be looking for?

And FSB or VVT voltage is very important as it is the primary killer and causes the most damage to the 45nm CPUs. I keep it at the stock value of 1.1V and I'm running my E3110 (=E8400) at 4.1GHz 100% stable. So just set it manually to 1.1V
I'm sorry...but what in the HECK is VVT?

And good luck since you have a 650i :D
Uh oh...is that implying that it's good or bad?! :confused:

What temps should I expect at 3.6Ghz? I know every CPU is a bit different (difference batches, etc.) but is there a ballpark estimate I should be looking for?
Sorry, it's impossible to say, there are so many variables (ambient temp, case airflow, HSF, voltage required, thermal paste and application...) I can tell you that I'm running at 1.352V 4.1GHz with a TRUE @ 3000RPM, ambient 19c and my load temps are around 60c.
I'm sorry...but what in the HECK is VVT?
It's called FSB or VVT voltage, with ASUS boards, it's usually listed as FSB voltage.
Uh oh...is that implying that it's good or bad?!
Well, bad I'm afraid :p Nvidia chipsets aren't really in the same league as the Intels when it comes to OC'ing, especially the 650i. Should be fine for 400x9, though.

You'll need to keep an eye on vMCH as well as NB if you're running 4x 1GB memory modules.

AsusUpdate has worked fine for me in an x86 environment, it is x64 that the troubles begin, but it is better to use EZ Flash or AFUDOS imo.

If your board can run 500MHz fsb you should be good to hit 4.0GHz (with decent cooling) on air, my E3110 did it no problems, but worshipme has stated, the 650i isn't reknown for its oc abilities.

Good luck.

:)

the 650i isn't reknown for its oc abilities.

I guess I'm going to have to sell this system eventually then :D

Why buy good parts if you can't max em out :p

But seriously guys, especially you Worship and ATF, you guys are a big help. I wouldn't join any other forum--hands down.

I do know that the system I built for my parents has a POS EVGA 650i in it and that thing truly sucks to OC....I have my old E6420 in it and it just blows. Period. I don't think I was able to get it stable past a marginal OC...so atleast I know this board will be better; how much? I guess we'll find out :D I'll keep you all updated when I start some trials when I get home from work tonight.

Also, on the subject of thermal grease, this is what I'm currently using (bought it before I really got into the computer world, thinking they are all the same)....is this sufficient for OCing or can you recommend something better?

Zac

Never heard of that TIM mate, get some Arctic MX-2, Tuniq TX-2 or Noctua NT-H1.

if all else fails and you can't get any of those three then Arctic Silver 5 would be next best imo

Thanks ATF...I kinda figured that Spire was junk but it'll suffice for non-OC builds in the future anyways...it was only like 5 bucks for a box of 5 so it's not like I spent an arm and a leg.

I usually only shop Newegg (it just makes everything so much easier), so they only have the Arctic MX-2 and the Tuniq TX-2. Which would you recommend. The testimonials on the Arctic page show pretty significant temp drops, but on the other everyone commenting on the Tuniq says it's better than AS?? It seems like Arctic would be logical just because of the "name" but I'll try and find some reviews, too.

Thanks!

I've had good experience with MX-2.

With thermal paste, it's kinda hard to trust reviews. All the ones I read are all over the place with results, so I just try them myself and see what works best for me.

Yes, I think I'm going to go with a proven track record vs. a what-if, so I'll probably just pick up the MX-2.

BTW (to anyone): Will I see any difference in temps (I'm thinking marginal) if I pick up a mounting bracket for my XIGMATEK HSF? (I know that I should anyways because due to the weight of the HSF it's probably stressing the MB by just using the push clips)

Here's my HSF. Here's the mounting bracket if for it. Does it HAVE to be THIS mounting bracket?...stupid thing is out of stock...for God knows how long...

I don't know if the Thermalright one works, but I'd go with that just because it will work. You might get better temps, but the kicker is you don't have to worry about those cheesy push pins keeping that tower from falling off your CPU.

It's perfectly normal. It could be because both cores are not soldered equally to the IHS, or one of the sensors is slightly off.
And trust Realtemp, Everest does not use the correct TjMax of 100c. And you are using the latest version, right? Only the newer versions report the correct temps.

Core temps.

I should have warned you about that, I used it and ended up with a brick.

it's always safer to flash with a usb or floppy (but who has floppies any more?), though the web update is pretty convenient, and we as humans are inherently drawn to convenience, so it's an uphill battle fighting the urge to use the convenient (lazy) method...

Back
Top Bottom