Vista Update Problems...Corrupt O/S?

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Alright, I'll be working on a friend's computer within the next day or so, and I guess he was updating Vista and it stops at Step 3 of 3 and stays at 0%.

First off, does anyone know what's causing this and if there's a fix?

Second, if there's not a fix, I have a Vista Install Disc (the one where it has all version on it--or maybe that's how they all are). I've had this question answered concerning XP but not Vista: It is a legit copy of Vista (code is on the bottom of lappy). Can I reinstall Vista to the same version with the same code with no hassle? (no hardware changes are being made.)

Thanks everyone!
Zac

you should be fine reinstalling windows if thats a last resort, btw, my laptop had this exact same problem.. there isnt a fix for this atm other than run it in safe mode and turn automatic updating off... then choose the updates when you log back in and install them that way... on my laptop i had to resort to reinstalling..

Thanks Spec! I'll give that a try for starters, and of course, a resinstall is always last resort.

No problem, if you need any other help, send me a pm or post back here..ill be checkin. also - if you do happen to reinstall, if the product key has been entered "too many times" just call up microsoft and tell em your situation...they might even upgrade you to 64 bit premium for free :) like they did for me haha... they said they would send me out a new "cd" because i wasnt "satisfied" with there products.

Yes..I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out just in case anyone else ends up linking to this post for future reference.

There's also a problem with using your disc to reinstall Vista. The version on your disc must match identically with the version his key was issued to.

There are four different versions of Vista, but Vista Ultimate contains everything the three other versions do in both x32 and x64 flavors.

There's also a problem with using your disc to reinstall Vista. The version on your disc must match identically with the version his key was issued to.

There are four different versions of Vista, but Vista Ultimate contains everything the three other versions do in both x32 and x64 flavors.

actually no, it doesnt really have to. Windows is allowed a maximum of five install times, on ANY computer, then the key is disabled. And he is installing from the legit copy of windows, on the same computer that the disc came for.

Back
Top Bottom