Computer Died - PLEASE HELP

AlStar250

Solid State Member
I am here because I am in serious need of help. I have a Compaq SR1620NX that I think the m-board just died. I got laid off with the current economy and I need a computer but don't have the cash to get a new one (unless ABSOLUTELY necessary). I have a gig of ram and a PCI 128mb video card as my only upgrades. How hard would it be to upgrade the board/cpu/ram and make everything else work? I have heard horror stories of drive conflicts and recognition issues and such. Would say a Athlon X2 w/ board and Ram be an option? Thanks and I know I need a new computer, but I just can't afford one right this minute. Thanks everyone!

How sure are you that your mobo died? You sure its not like your psu or anything else?

I don't wanna tell you to replace your mobo unless you are absolutely sure

k here's the scenario - My computer has NEVER froze and one day last week it did. No big deal I held down the power button and left the room. I returned about an hour later and hit the start button, the green LED on the front of the case as well as the 3 led's on the keyboard (for caps etc) light up and the fan starts but all only for a split second and that's it, the computer won't fire. Funny thing is the red led for the optical mouse stays on. Do you think it wont POST? I've talked to a few people who say motherboard but ALL say just buy a new computer... what do you think?

no. I mean that your psu could have died, and it could have if you just replaced it with a new one.

You have another computer that we could test stuff out with?

no. I mean that your psu could have died, and it could have if you just replaced it with a new one.

You have another computer that we could test stuff out with?

sorry allendale, I'm kinda in the dark with this. PSU = power supply right? No i have not replaced anything other than adding ram and a vid card 2 years ago. I don't think I have another computer available, but I could buy a PSU and try that... When I unplug then plug im the power, the green led stays on in the back of the PSU. Also after attempting to fire, the red led on the mouse stays on, would these happen if the PSU were bad?

would something like this work

http://shop3.frys.com/product/4659848?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

i'm assuming then you are on a laptop.

And yes, psu is powersupply.

Sorry I misread your last post.

What I would first do would be to try out the motherboard on a different power supply. Seeing how you don't have another one, you would have to buy it, but this will cost you some time. I suggest going to a local retail store first and buy an adequate psu. Try it out and if your motherboard and computer works, return the psu and go online to buy a cheaper one (unless you want to keep the other one).

If it still doesn't work, it may be your mobo.

Can you post system specs?

As far as your problem, I think it may have to do with the PSU. What I would do is take the PSU out and separately check to see if it is working. This website should help you.

If it is not the PSU, then according to your symptoms, I'd say it really is the motherboard. If it happens to be the motherboard you can easily replace it. Once we have the problem figured out and your specs we'll be able to determine a good replacement.

Can you post system specs?

As far as your problem, I think it may have to do with the PSU. What I would do is take the PSU out and separately check to see if it is working. This website should help you.

If it is not the PSU, then according to your symptoms, I'd say it really is the motherboard. If it happens to be the motherboard you can easily replace it. Once we have the problem figured out and your specs we'll be able to determine a good replacement.

AMD Sempron 3400+ / 2 GHz
256mb x 4 DDR 3200
128mb PCI GeForce Vid Card
160gig HD

Here's a link

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp...20nx/4507-3118_7-31589079.html?tag=mncol;psum

I'm going to buy a PSU and see if that's it... Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom