Need input on new computer

BobN

Beta member
Hey everyone,

So...I'm in the market for a desktop. I've been eye-ing the Gateway FX6800-01e, but then considered building my own computer. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a gamer, but every now and then a title catches my interest, so I'm looking for something that can handle anything that may catch my fancy. Also, I'd like to use this as my main computer for the next 4 years or so; therefore, I'm looking to have something that's more towards the high end now. I haven't actually built a computer before, and would much appreciate any comments/suggestions.

My current idea for a computer would look as follows:
Case - Antec 1200
CPU - Intel i7 920
Motherboard - EVGA LGA 1366 x58
GPU - Sapphire 4870x2 (2Gb)
RAM - Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 (3x2Gb)
HD - WD Caviar Black (1TB)
PSU - Antec Signature 850W
OS - Vista Ultimate 64
Optical - Pioneer 20x
Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper Z600

Thanks for having a look.

Do you need a monitor?
I'm only asking because of your gpu, because 4870x2 2Gigs is alot if you don't have that big of a screen; although I do understand you want to make your computer future proof :p
I assume you probably do have a large monitor but just giving you a heads up.

Are you overclocking?
If not you should scrap the cooler master and have another $60 in the wallet, the stock cooler will do its job fine.

He can't even use the CM. It doesn't support LGA1366. Other than this little fact about the HSF, your build looks great. I would go with that. Like mentioned above, you won't need an aftermarket HSF unless you're OC'ing.The i7 were built to deal with heat and power output. One thing I'd like to say is that the Core i7 920 runs 1333MHz memory standard. Anything above will not run in a 1:1 ratio and may be bottlenecked to 1333MHz. So if you want to save some money you can downgrade there. If you end getting this build I can tell you it will last more than 4 years. This is all very high end. And if you want to step it up a notch consider the nVidia GTX295. It's better than the HD4870X2 from some benchmarks I've seen online. If you want proof I'll get it.

As far as the building part comes it's all pretty simple. Everything you need to know will be in the motherboard manual. Also everything is pretty self-explanatory. You'll have an idea of where to put things. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go there. Make sure to ground yourself while you're putting the parts together. I'd recommend you mount the CPU, the HSF, and the RAM on the motherboard before putting it in the case. Then everything else can come in. Make sure to refer to the motherboard manual when connecting case cables. You don't want those in the wrong place. Additionally make sure to spend goo time with cable management. The better organized your cables are the easier it will be to clean your case out when you need it to. I'd also place the hard-drive in the bottom of the case, or wherever it blocks the fans the least. You want air circulation to be the best possible. If you ever start getting annoyed at something, just step away from the computer. Resume building when you're calmer. If you have any problems you can always come to us.

Thanks for the replies,

Well, I do currently have 24" monitor running at 1920x1200. I'd like to keep running things at that resolution or (god willing) on something even bigger in the future.

I'd wasn't planning to overclock, but I wanted to have the option. I know heat can pose a problem, and I wasn't sure how effective cooling would be with just the stock fans and heat sinks. The Cooler Master was thrown in there as a "just in case" thing. But I guess if I still decide on a heat sink - I should look for something that supports LGA1366, huh?

Thanks for the note on the RAM and video card - I'll reconsider the GTX295. I was trying to compare the two cards, and the GTX295 did seem stronger than the HD4870X2. But to me, both cards seemed to be way the hell up there, and the 4870 was a bit cheaper.

I'm glad to hear that you think this computer can serve me for a good long while. Frankly, I'm not ecstatic about doling out this much money for a computer, but being able to happily use it over a longer time frame balances out the cost (plus, my company will be footing part of this bill, which is nice).

Motherboard - EVGA LGA 1366 x58
Since you're going with the HD 4870 X2, you don't need SLi support, just CF. All X58 boards support CF, and you have to pay extra for SLi.
You could save a $100 here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128375
One thing I'd like to say is that the Core i7 920 runs 1333MHz memory standard. Anything above will not run in a 1:1 ratio and may be bottlenecked to 1333MHz. So if you want to save some money you can downgrade there.
+1
Well, I do currently have 24" monitor running at 1920x1200. I'd like to keep running things at that resolution or (god willing) on something even bigger in the future.
HD 4870 X2 will be perfect for that. Only consider the GTX 295 if you really want to go for 2560x1600 + AA/AF
I'd wasn't planning to overclock, but I wanted to have the option. I know heat can pose a problem, and I wasn't sure how effective cooling would be with just the stock fans and heat sinks. The Cooler Master was thrown in there as a "just in case" thing. But I guess if I still decide on a heat sink - I should look for something that supports LGA1366, huh?
You could always just stick with the stock cooling for now, and then when the times comes that you do want to overclock, there should be a much bigger selection of LGA 1366 HSFs available.

Actually, I was looking for a motherboard that supported SLI. The original idea was to get a motherboard that could support two 4870x2's. Over time, as the 4870x2 went from top of the line to the bottom, I could upgrade the computer with a second 4870x2. It seems that I'm not very well grounded, and that you believe there won't be a need to ever do so. In which case, I'd be perfectly happy to cut another $100 off the tab.

Yes, I think I will refrain from ordering any HSF's for the meantime, and in the future, should I find myself in need of one, I'll have a better selection to choose from.

Actually, I was looking for a motherboard that supported SLI. The original idea was to get a motherboard that could support two 4870x2's. Over time, as the 4870x2 went from top of the line to the bottom, I could upgrade the computer with a second 4870x2. It seems that I'm not very well grounded, and that you believe there won't be a need to ever do so. In which case, I'd be perfectly happy to cut another $100 off the tab.

Yes, I think I will refrain from ordering any HSF's for the meantime, and in the future, should I find myself in need of one, I'll have a better selection to choose from.

BobN, I think you may have gotten confused with your technologies. SLI is a bridging technology that only applies to nVidia cards. However, ATi does have the same counterpart technology in the form of Crossfire. You do not need an SLI board to run Crossfire. In fact, if I'm not mistaken most Intel chipsets run Crossfire.

Make sure you turn that beast over on its side or it will place to much stress on the mobo/case and snap it in half :)

Back
Top Bottom