should i start this build?

slayer6466

Baseband Member
the pc im currently building now has a am3 compatible mobo and i bought a 6000+ for it and now im thinking that i want a phenom for it so i was thinking.should i take out the motherboard and throw in an abit fatality sli 590 in there and build around that for now until i get a phenom?i have an decent gpu laying around and 2gs of corsair xm2 ram.just have to get a psu and hard drive.should i just build this mobo because ive been trying to sell it but to no avail frankly because abit doent exist anymore

the pc im currently building now has a am3 compatible mobo
You mean AM2, right?

I really have no idea what you're trying to say, punctuation and reading your post before posting would help.

srry.here's what i am basically asking.i have two motherboards one of which is an abit fatality 590 sli neatly tucked away im my closet and i have an GA-MA790X-DS4[which is am3 cpu ready,srry for mixup] inside a thermaltake soprano case.the GA-MA790X-DS4 has a 6000 already installed and i was asking if i should take out the 6000 and instead install it on the abit motherboard and leave the GA-MA790X-DS4 empty till i get a phenom.since abit doenst exist anymore would it be worth it building a rig around the abit.

Just clearing things up, there's no motherboard out currently that supports the AM3 socket. Right now it's AM2 and AM2+ for AMD. (I just noticed the irony behind the socket naming)

The GA-MA790X-DS4 is a AM2/AM2+ motherboard and will work with all Phenom CPU's out currently. You can use a AM2 or a AM2+ CPU in that motherboard but when an AM3 CPU comes out you should still be able to use a AM3 CPU in that motherboard.

AM3 CPU's will have two pins less than a AM2+ socket so it will fit, minus two pins that would be on a AM2+ CPU.

As for an upgrade, I would really wait and save up. Next month AMD is releasing there new line of CPU's on the AM3 socket with DDR3 capabilities. Not only will this increase the Memory preformance but also the uncore(memory controller + L3 cache).

If you look at the reviews on the Phenom II CPU's out right now, they are fighting competitively with the mid-range Intel Quad Cores. This release should bump up the new Quads to fight with the Higher range Quad Intel cores.

So - Wait for next month and look at some upgrade options that are right for you. DDR3 is a good performance factor in the new setup as well as a faster uncore(AM2+ CPU's on the Deneb core are set to 1.8Ghz while the AM3 are going to be set at 2.0Ghz)

Tried to rep you NEED WOW NOW but I need to spread it around :p

Your 790X supports the AM2+ 45nm Phenoms, the AM3 45nm Phenoms will have the DDR3 memory controller as well as the DDR2 memory controller, so they will still work in the AM2+ boards.

I don't see any reason to stop using the 790X until you actually have a Phenom. When you do have one (940 BE looks pretty awesome), you can move the 6000+ to the Abit then.

Back
Top Bottom