Choosing new RAM...or maybe none at all...

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, 4GB (2x2GB) units keep dropping in price, and I figured it'd be a decent time to upgrade if I wanted to. I'll be replacing the RAM in my Sig. (4 X 1GB Patriot DDR2 800 4-4-4-12)...it'll just go in to my parents computer.

So, here's what I'm looking at (I want to stay under 40 bucks...with rebate or not...it doesn't bother me to send in rebates...but it's gotta have free ship. too)

G.Skill

Patriot

OCZ HPC -- Now, the problem here is that I don't think newegg has updated their site for this RAM. Before I came to you guys, I ordered this RAM about 2 weeks ago since OCZ has always treated me well. Well, upon arrival, it was the right MODEL number, but the wrong product...obviously neweggs fault. Well, reading some of the reviews on there state that the picture hasn't been correct for a while now, and the RAM that's in my parents computer is the same LOOK of this but it's just the 2 X 1GB units...so my thinking was that I'd get this, then take my parent's RAM and I've had 6GB of identical looking RAM...well that didn't happen and I really don't want to chance it again....RMA was a ridiculous process...I'm just happy Newegg paid to ship it back since it was their fault.

OCZ Sli-Ready (Not worried about SLI...just wondering if it's decent)

Patriot Viper (same as the stuff above, but cheaper because it doesn't look as cool :p)

The last thing I'm thinking is that maybe I should just wait and get a new mobo (God forbid, since this one's been an absolute champ) that supports 1066 RAM since that stuff is now pretty cheap too....I think my current set-up will last me for a while, so let me know what you are all thinking....

Oh, and keep in mind that I MAY do some OC'ing in the future...so I'd like some RAM that might be able to handle a little boost. I've heard OCZ and G.Skill work nicely for OCing...

Zac

Personally, I would wait until you upgrade to a new rig. The RAM you have chosen is really pretty much the same as the stuff you currently have. I really don't think you'll see any improvement in performance with any of those.

You should see how well your current memory will overclock before spending money on new RAM.

Well, 4GB (2x2GB) units keep dropping in price, and I figured it'd be a decent time to upgrade if I wanted to. I'll be replacing the RAM in my Sig. (4 X 1GB Patriot DDR2 800 4-4-4-12)...it'll just go in to my parents computer.

So, here's what I'm looking at (I want to stay under 40 bucks...with rebate or not...it doesn't bother me to send in rebates...but it's gotta have free ship. too)

G.Skill

Patriot

OCZ HPC -- Now, the problem here is that I don't think newegg has updated their site for this RAM. Before I came to you guys, I ordered this RAM about 2 weeks ago since OCZ has always treated me well. Well, upon arrival, it was the right MODEL number, but the wrong product...obviously neweggs fault. Well, reading some of the reviews on there state that the picture hasn't been correct for a while now, and the RAM that's in my parents computer is the same LOOK of this but it's just the 2 X 1GB units...so my thinking was that I'd get this, then take my parent's RAM and I've had 6GB of identical looking RAM...well that didn't happen and I really don't want to chance it again....RMA was a ridiculous process...I'm just happy Newegg paid to ship it back since it was their fault.

OCZ Sli-Ready (Not worried about SLI...just wondering if it's decent)

Patriot Viper (same as the stuff above, but cheaper because it doesn't look as cool :p)

The last thing I'm thinking is that maybe I should just wait and get a new mobo (God forbid, since this one's been an absolute champ) that supports 1066 RAM since that stuff is now pretty cheap too....I think my current set-up will last me for a while, so let me know what you are all thinking....

Oh, and keep in mind that I MAY do some OC'ing in the future...so I'd like some RAM that might be able to handle a little boost. I've heard OCZ and G.Skill work nicely for OCing...

Zac

you won't see much of a performance gain (if any) from going to 1066 DDR2, your RAM will be limited by your FSB...

Personally, I would wait until you upgrade to a new rig. The RAM you have chosen is really pretty much the same as the stuff you currently have. I really don't think you'll see any improvement in performance with any of those.

You should see how well your current memory will overclock before spending money on new RAM.

Thanks AR. I guess I should of posted the reason for WHY I wanted to upgrade in the first place. A lot of times, Vista is hogging about 2.5-3GB of my 4GB of RAM when just browsing the internet or having iTunes, MSN, and stuff like that open...but then it maxes out to like 96% usage when I'm gaming...but yes, maybe I should try OC'ing this stuff first to see where it gets me.

you won't see much of a performance gain (if any) from going to 1066 DDR2, your RAM will be limited by your FSB...

Okie doke. Yeah. I didn't really put much thought into it...I just knew that my RAM was maxing out so I figured why not double it since it's the cheapest upgrade available.

I get it now. You want to go up to 8GB of total memory. . .

In that case, get the OCZ Reapers. They are known to overclock quite well.

Yes. Sorry I was being ambiguous. The only problem is that they have rebates...so I'd have to pay full price for one :S plus...they WERE down to 22 bucks with the rebate a while ago, so I'd have to wait for a while....but the issue still remains that they look different than pictured...I wish newegg would confirm or deny that....ugh.

Dont get any. 4GB is plenty, you WANT your OS to use all of your RAM, that way it doesnt have to go to the HDD as much, which will slow things down.

Your never using all 4GB at anytime so whats 8GB going to do?

Dont get any. 4GB is plenty, you WANT your OS to use all of your RAM, that way it doesnt have to go to the HDD as much, which will slow things down.

Your never using all 4GB at anytime so whats 8GB going to do?

That first statement really didn't make any sense...if I'm maxing out while playing a game, then it's going to HAVE to go to the HDD.

8GB is going to allow for more tasks like photoshop and even the occasional game to be open and minimized instead of closing/reopening them...I actually think 8GB would do me good. It would be a whole different story if I was running XP...but I'm running Vista, so 8GB should make a pretty big difference.

This is what they should look like: OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper CL4 4GB Edition

Yup, I know. They should look like this. When I got my order from newegg they looked like the very bottom picture of RAM from the OCZ page you linked me to (I know, because I explained to them about it being the right MODEL number, but not the right product description....). The ones I got were really ugly. I like the copper look much more than the silver heat pipe. This kind of sucks because I really like OCZ but if newegg isn't going to send me the right product....

2nd EDIT:
Well I guess I'm screwed. I just read the fine print on OCZ's site:
"IMPORTANT NOTE: OCZ is currently transitioning to a new Reaper HPC heatsink. As of October 2008 the new versions have shipped out and are currently in the retail channel. These improved copper heatpipes are now nickel-plated for durability and corrosion resistance. Please visit our support forums here for more information. "

3rd EDIT: Haha...Idk how many times I can edit this post before I put everything I need to here. Anyways, AR, do you know how well the GSkill RAM I listed overclocks, if at all? I'm just wondering....if I can't get newegg to give me the 22 dollar price (which they promised they would due to the return), I might get that...but on the other hand I might just wait.

Hahaha-> 4th EDIT: Well, I just realized that the rebate is now only 20 bucks...before it was 30, which is why I would've gotten it for 22 dollars (price was 52 before...now it's 60 with a 20 dollar rebate) so I'll be waiting for a while I guess. I'm just going to try OCing what I've got now and see if anything improves.

I can't speak for Photoshop, but I have no problems minimizing games and doing stuff in Windows with 4GB RAM.

Back
Top Bottom