Intel Cuts Core 2 Quad Prices Up to 40 Percent.

you could get an Q6600 for $150 at Micro Center. I think they are just trying to get them sold, because it doesnt seem like they want to keep them in stock anymore. They want to sell higher end Quads.

i got my Q6600 back at micro center in july for 180 :D good deal for the time

ya they are they should all be out by summer
but im good cpu wise for at lest 2 years then maybe ill conger up a new build

Yeah...it's like I've been saying since the i7 came out, if you want a quad-core then go with the i7. There's no point in getting the old architecture.

There's no point in getting the old architecture.

Actually, there is. I'm aware that these processors weren't released yesterday and aren't as new as the i7, but they are still very strong. The Q9650 is a damn strong processor and will be able to run everything. The Q9650 is able to play all the latest games with ease and can perform regular tasks without even trying; more intensive tasks without a problem. And if that's still not enough for you and you're into some more demanding tasks, just overclock. Get a good cooler and overclock.

The i7 gives me absolutely nothing the Q9650 could give me. What am I going to do with an i7? Alright, I'll get a few more FPS here and there and I'll save 1/5 of a second while loading Firefox or opening a movie, but that stuff is so insignificant it would be crazy to make it a deciding factor when spending so much money on a new processor, motherboard and memory.

So, in the end, the i7 gives me nothing I need, and it won't give me anything I will need for a few years. The Q9650 at stock speeds would last me just fine for 1 1/2+ years, but after that I could overclock and it would last me another year. So there are 3+ years of good use.

If I were to get the i7 instead of the Q9650, I would only be wasting a lot of money to increase the size of my e-penis. In the part of Europe where I live in, just getting the motherboard and DDR3 RAM will cost me more than 2x the processor itself. I'd have to blow almost 700 Euro just to get the i7, and that's with the weakest and cheapest i7 processor. 700 Euro is a giant amount of money for somebody like me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's like that for many of you.

However, that's my point of view as a regular gamer/user. If you're an enthusiast, then it's a whole different story. As an enthusiast, you want the best, regardless of how little it is from the second or third best and if you won't be able to see the difference without some software.

I'm happy they're dropping the price though. The problem with that is, where I live, the prices won't go down at all. The Phenom II's are going to be significantly more expensive than in America.

Actually, there is. I'm aware that these processors weren't released yesterday and aren't as new as the i7, but they are still very strong. The Q9650 is a damn strong processor and will be able to run everything. The Q9650 is able to play all the latest games with ease and can perform regular tasks without even trying; more intensive tasks without a problem. And if that's still not enough for you and you're into some more demanding tasks, just overclock. Get a good cooler and overclock.

The i7 gives me absolutely nothing the Q9650 could give me. What am I going to do with an i7? Alright, I'll get a few more FPS here and there and I'll save 1/5 of a second while loading Firefox or opening a movie, but that stuff is so insignificant it would be crazy to make it a deciding factor when spending so much money on a new processor, motherboard and memory.

So, in the end, the i7 gives me nothing I need, and it won't give me anything I will need for a few years. The Q9650 at stock speeds would last me just fine for 1 1/2+ years, but after that I could overclock and it would last me another year. So there are 3+ years of good use.

If I were to get the i7 instead of the Q9650, I would only be wasting a lot of money to increase the size of my e-penis. In the part of Europe where I live in, just getting the motherboard and DDR3 RAM will cost me more than 2x the processor itself. I'd have to blow almost 700 Euro just to get the i7, and that's with the weakest and cheapest i7 processor. 700 Euro is a giant amount of money for somebody like me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's like that for many of you.

However, that's my point of view as a regular gamer/user. If you're an enthusiast, then it's a whole different story. As an enthusiast, you want the best, regardless of how little it is from the second or third best and if you won't be able to see the difference without some software.

I'm happy they're dropping the price though. The problem with that is, where I live, the prices won't go down at all. The Phenom II's are going to be significantly more expensive than in America.

Very well put Loddust, I totally agree with you.

Q9650 is a beast! And u really will not see a big boost in performance with i7.

Have you taken a look at the re-designed architecture? You can use far faster memory with the i7 because there isn't a FSB bottleneck. Even though the 1:1 ratio stops at the 1333MHz standard it still gives you more room to use an unbalance ratio at a relatively stable level. The re-designed cache relationship allows for a quicker response from the respective cache. Additionally, if you're a gamer than you know you quad-cores aren't ideal for gaming. You should have gone with the E8600. As far as being a better quad-core there is not comparison between the C2Q and the Core i7. Also, the same way you can OC a C2Q you can OC a i7 for better performance. And watch out that i7 have great OC'ing potential...could be relatively higher than the C2Q...

I've read an article on this from CNet. It's good, because if you don't want an expensive i7 you can just buy a good and cheap C2 processor.

Or wait for the DDR3 AM3's :D

Back
Top Bottom