My annual review is this Wednesday!

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
My annual review is coming up this Wednesday, and to tell you the truth I'm a bit afraid. Not that I might get fired or anything, but that I will not be able to present my self properly in front of the owner and will not get the raise that I so truly deserve! My manager knows that I'm a hard worker and that my salary should be raised, but unfortunately he is not the one doing the review, nor will he be present there. Last year I was totally unprepared, and was caught off guard, the owner is somewhat intimidating, but the worst part is he really has no idea what exactly I do in this company. My official title is, customer service or customer relations as we call it here, but my responsibilities include MUCH more then what a regular cs rep would do. I am the right hand of the customer service manager, so everything he doesn't have time to do or doesn't want to do, gets thrown at me. He has a very busy schedule, and is not always at his desk, that means I am the one who gets bombarded with questions from the sales people in the office when he is not here. The truth is I been here for 4 years and during that time I must of seen at least 15 people get fired and witnessed the sale of the company, its been under a new management for the last year. What kills me the most here that some of the new people who gat hired last year (same position) gat higher salary than me, and I was the one who had to train them… Well I'm getting off topic here, what are your suggestions?

Thanks

i think its a bit stupid if you are getting paid less than the people you are training

anyway , why is this review a problem do you have confidence problems ? or is it just generally something everyone stresses about ?

what does the review go like is it you trying to convince them that you should get a raise or is it more them asking you questions

I agree with you, it's absolutely stupid!

I definitely have a confidence problem, but im trying to prepare my self mentally for it. I'm sure everyone else is somewhat stressing it, but not as much as I am.

The review is informal, and it is done by the owner of the company. From the way the review was done last time, I was the one trying to convince him that I deserve a raise, but he was asking questions at the same time so it was a mix of both. But what different about last time is my manager was present, he definitely helped me out. I didn't get much of a raise last time, I believe it was due to the fact that he just took over the company and really didn't know what's everyone's responsibilities are and the fact that I didn't do a good job explaining to him my role in the company didn't help ether.

ok well that could be a point you could raise in your review the fact that people you are training are earning more than you and you dont think this is fair

Also raise the fact that as you said you've been there 4 years and have been loyal to the company in that 4 years and are not planning on going anywhere else anytime soon

As for your confidence problem i doubt this is an easy thing for anyone to do and i wouldn't be getting myself down with the fact that i have a confidence problem i would just mentally prepare and do things to get your mind occupied , if you tell yourself you have a confidence problem then you will go into the meeting with that mindset and wont do any better

best thing i can say is take some notes of what it is you want to say and practice a few times either in a mirror or to someone you know well so you are familiar with what it is you want to say so you aren't left worrying about the easy part which is what you know you want to say and you can mentally prepare more for the hard part which is when they will be questioning you
Also when in the meeting take your time speaking and ask the person you are having your interview with to repeat things if you don't hear them clearly first time or if you need to hear the question again

AAlso when you come out of the meeting dont stress about it whats done is done and whatever the result is cant be changed by that time its too late

muz thanks a lot! I needed to hear something like that, that is exactly what I will try to do, and hopefully all will go well :)

Thanks again.

don't mention it dude hope it all goes well for you
sure there's nothing else you want to ask about ?

Well there probably is, I just can't think of anything from the top of my head right now. I'm at work and need to finish up few things. Thanks for asking muz, if I'll think of something il post back.

Also raise the fact that as you said you've been there 4 years and have been loyal to the company in that 4 years and are not planning on going anywhere else anytime soon

As good as an idea that is, you have to make sure that you have been at the company an average length of time, because if the rest of the company has 10 years there, then that argument wouldn't work.

How did it go?

It's today in 2h and 40 min. Im really trying not to think about it and just go with the flow

As good as an idea that is, you have to make sure that you have been at the company an average length of time, because if the rest of the company has 10 years there, then that argument wouldn't work.

This company only been around for 6 years, I been here for 4 years now. Only a handfull people remain that been here longer then me... 2-3 people.

Back
Top Bottom