Laptop!?!?!

cantona

Daemon Poster
Hello all,

Basically my mum wants a laptop and I was wondering if you could give me any suggestions. The following are the requirements:

- no more then $1200 US
- she basically wants the laptop for college stuff, ie documents, powerpoints etc.
- she wants to be able to access the internet
- weight isn't really an issue as she will mainly be using it at home
- graphics card isn't that important either as she won't be playing games
- so basically a laptop that can access the internet and can handle 'business' or 'study' like applications quickly.

Thanks for any help,
Cantona

Here are a couple very basic systems, like you described your mom wanting:

Don't ever plan to game with these...ever. They both have onboard video...but you said that didn't matter anyways.

Gateway $550

and a slightly better (CPU speed and RAM specs) Toshiba $699

I'm not sure what the difference is between the two CPUs other than speed. I haven't researched lappies for a while. So, I'm not sure if there's an architecture difference between the 5x50 series versus the 5x00 series...

His budget is $1200. With that price, it's not necessarily a budget notebook like the ones you listed.

Well...he did say no MORE than 1200 bucks...he didn't say he was opposed to anything cheaper than that. It's not like his mom'll be saving the world with it :p

I just figured that if all I was using a lappy for was business apps like Office and using IE, I'd get something like the ones I listed. What's the sense in wasting the other 500 bucks if you don't NEED to? Heck, that extra 500 bucks could get you a semi-decent desktop. That's 2 computers in one budget.

You would rather have one reliable notebook that doesn't require repairs in the future, than two troublesome computers that require both your time and money to fix.

You would rather have one reliable notebook that doesn't require repairs in the future, than two troublesome computers that require both your time and money to fix.

and whats to say that the gateway is going to require repairs in the future , just because something is more expensive dosent necesserily make it better or more reliable
i agree that if you can get a laptop for $500 as long as its a decent brand and it does what you want it to whats the point in spending the extra $600 on something you wont use

and whats to say that the gateway is going to require repairs in the future , just because something is more expensive dosent necesserily make it better or more reliable

Do you like going around and commenting on all my posts or what?

It's common sense that budget notebooks have to make cuts somewhere in order to achieve that certain price point. You're right, some budget notebooks don't necessarily require repairs in the future, and the opposite might be true for more expensive notebooks.

The point being, he gave us his budget, and I'm trying to stay true to it. If he has the money, why not splurge on something better?

Do you like going around and commenting on all my posts or what?

It's common sense that budget notebooks have to make cuts somewhere in order to achieve that certain price point. You're right, some budget notebooks don't necessarily require repairs in the future, and the opposite might be true for more expensive notebooks.

The point being, he gave us his budget, and I'm trying to stay true to it. If he has the money, why not splurge on something better?
dont flatter yourself i was just helping out another member if you have an issue with me take it up via PM not in some other members thread where they are asking for help

and i agree some budget notebooks do make cutbacks in quality , toshiba for instance IMO must be making cut backs on their budget notebook lines because over the years quality has declined

one thing though as well is of course they can make them cheaper when they arent offering the specifications that high end notebooks are offering that pretty much common sense with lower priced notebooks you wont get the same high specification you get with higher priced notebooks

Generally on the whole though i have found budget notebooks from HP dell and asus all to be of high build quality. they are the only brands i have experience from so thats all i can speak for
for instance i have a dell inspiron and i know someone with the XPS and the build qualities are the same only difference is that his has higher specs than mine

and i agree if you have the money then by all means spend it but i was just seeing if the op had made that budget suggestion as they did not know that cheaper alternatives existed plus if you save 600 there might be something else the op wishes to purchase

Then again, what happens if a $1200 lappy craps out and you don't have any room left over in your budget to fix it up?

And about the above, I'm not trying to take sides. I just wanted to cover all sides...01001010, you covered the higher end scope of things...I just wanted to cover the budget items as well. The choice is the buyer's in the end anyways.

Back
Top Bottom