Replacement [For an older] Mobo off of eBay...need some help if you've got time...

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, I'm sick of messing around with the HP's ASUS board (a topic I posted a few days ago about a System Fan Failure error--won't go past that) so I figured as old as the system is, I'd just buy a used MOBO off of eBay. Well...I guess there's like a GAZILLION motherboards on ebay...and I figured since I'm selling the system, if I can get a little bit better mobo + cpu, I might as well.

I'm going to try my best to keep this organized...there's going to be quite a few links.

First off, here's the CURRENT system specs (Full system, Mobo). This will be the board I'll be replacing...it's undecided as to whether I'll keep the CPU or not...if I find a cheap Mobo/CPU combo that you all approve, then I'll just tuck the 2.0ghz Celeron away for another day. The board has to be microATX to fit the HP case it's going in to..I'm not worried about the I/O panel though.

Okay, now the eBay links are going to start rolling. If they don't work, let me know...but remember that they aren't going to work after the auctions end so if you end up reading this thread down the road, they won't work obviously. Also, I'm going to try my best to post the board's spec. website (like intel, etc).

1) D845GLVA Socket 478:
Ebay Auction
Intel's Specs

I had to go by the number on the board in the picture for this next one->
2) MS-6577 (Xenon) Socket 478:
Ebay Auction
HP Site Mobo Specs

3) TriGem 2002052 (Glendale) Socket 478 NOTE: Very similar to the one I'm replacing!:
Ebay Auction
HP Site's Specs

4) D845GERG2 Socket 478
Ebay
Intel

Okay, now here are the best solutions I found...just replace the mobo and cpu together. P4 crap is cheap enough now that it doesn't really matter.

So:
5) 0G1548 W/ P4 (The problem I foresee here though is the on/off button on the HP case being incompatible with this mobo....?)
Ebay

6) Asus P4B533-VM W/ P4 (Same problem as above?)
Ebay

I numbered them so that even if you can just come on and tell me #X would be okay...and whatnot.

Any help is appreciated...not a big time problem, but I could use some advice.
Thanks!
Zac

EDIT: Here is an EXACT replacement that I just found-> Ebay

However, whatever solution I come up with, I don't want to spend more than ~$20...so if I could win this bid now it'd be okay...but....

Personally, I'd go with the exact replacement board for 2 reasons:

1. It'll be much easier, you can use your current cpu and ram and everything, it'll just be a direct swap.

2. Since it is the same exact motherboard, you won't have to reinstall windows, you can just swap it out and boot the system and everything should be all well and good.

I did this with a dell a while back, I had to replace the motherboard and I couldn't find an exact replacement. Luckily, dell (and I'm sure other companies) use the same motherboard for multiple models of computers. I located an exact replacement motherboard, the only difference was that it was branded for a different model of dell computer, not a problem. I replaced it and the pc never hiccuped or anything. I did have to reinstall the network drivers though, a minor detail.

Definitly go the exact replacement route.

See I have the same mindset except for one thing: If I could get a board + P4 CPU (which would be faster than the Celly I've got in the one that's shot), for the same price, wouldn't it be more logical to do so? I'm just wondering if I would run in to problems hooking it up with the case power button...that's all. Note that I have to reinstall my O/S anyways so that along with drivers are not a problem...

Zac

The replacement motherboard does support P4 processors, just can't find any information on which ones. I'd buy the replacement motherboard then buy the highest p4 it supports (if you can find a list of the processors it supports)

Well it's going to a customer who's just going to be using it for internet purposes. So I guess if I get the exact replacement, I'll just use the Celeron I've got now. I was just wondering if I buy a board/cpu combo for the same or lower price if that'd make more sense? I really only want to have to buy one item...

Thanks for your help so far Tommy Boy!
It's appreciated.

Your welcome.

For internet purposes the processor that is in it now would be more than sufficient, and buying an exact replacement would save a lot of trouble.

Well, for now, an exact replacement is out of the question since I just checked the eBay bidding and it's up to 30+ bucks...not worth it right now. So, I might end up going the P4 mobo/cpu bundle direction...if not, I'll just have to wait a while for another replacement board to surface. If it has to be 'jimmy-rigged' than so-be-it...the customer just wants a computer.

The last thing I'm going to try is possibly flashing the BIOS before I call it quits.

EDIT/UPDATE: I've got some interesting information to relay to you all. I decided, for craps and giggles, to grab my old dell psu and hook it up to the system. Interestingly enough, it still displayed the System Fan Failed warning, but in BIOS my CPU fan speed jumped up from about 800 rpm to about 1250 rpm....I have no idea if this is relevant, but no matter what, the computer still won't get past the error....

Back
Top Bottom