swapping hard drives issue :(

Water

Solid State Member
I recently purchased an external drive. I plugged it in via USB drive and transferred all my files I would like to save into it.

I then took out my internal drive which I want to throw out and use only my external, but when i reboot it comes up to error on black screen and makes me go to F2 Setup to re-configure I am assuming?

I am lost.. dont know what to do. How do I start computer using ONLY external. I do not want internal there anymore

did you transfer your OS to your new external?
why not just leave your internal in, with only the OS on it?

You can't just copy and paste your whole computer on your external drive. You have to either use something like Norton Ghost, or re-install your OS onto your external.

I need to reinstill my operating system onto my external prior to removing internal?

I am clearly confused. The man as Best BUY told me I can just transfer the files I need, and then toss out the old drive.

Is there a link here or can u list what steps I need to do in order to only use my external?

thank u

I recently purchased an external drive. I plugged it in via USB drive and transferred all my files I would like to save into it.

I then took out my internal drive which I want to throw out and use only my external, but when i reboot it comes up to error on black screen and makes me go to F2 Setup to re-configure I am assuming?

I am lost.. dont know what to do. How do I start computer using ONLY external. I do not want internal there anymore
I don't understand why you want to take out the internal drive if it works just fine? If it's not big enough you can use the external to just store files, you don't have to run it completely off the external drive.

The way you've done it, I would just leave the internal hard drive in, you already copied the files to the external, now you can delete them off the internal drive and save space, if that is the issue.

I wouldn't throw out a good hard drive.

I don't understand why you want to take out the internal drive if it works just fine? If it's not big enough you can use the external to just store files, you don't have to run it completely off the external drive.

The way you've done it, I would just leave the internal hard drive in, you already copied the files to the external, now you can delete them off the internal drive and save space, if that is the issue.

I wouldn't throw out a good hard drive.

Basically, I do not want certain information which can only be gone if I re-format 12 times or toss out the old drive. the internal drive needs to be thrown out - ill buy a new computer if i have too LOL

To be honest I don't know how to do it, never have tried. I know it used to not be possible and am not 100% sure whether it is possible now.

But if that is all the guy at Best Buy told you then he is wrong. You cannot just copy files over and expect to have a fully operational OS on your other drive.

What OS do you have?

Basically, I do not want certain information which can only be gone if I re-format 12 times or toss out the old drive. the internal drive needs to be thrown out - ill buy a new computer if i have too LOL

I would suggest copying your wanted files onto your external drive so that you do not lose them. Then use something like THIS to wipe your hard drive. Once it is wiped then re-install windows.

You'll need to ghost the info onto the external. However, it still won't work. The windows install will not know what to do since there is now a controller (probably USB or eSATA) between the hard drive and the motherboard where before there was just a strait connection. Even if you ghost, the system will not boot. It will just Blue-Screen and restart.

And my two cents, don't run XP (or any OS for that fact) off of an external, it will be extremely slow.

dammit, the guy lied to me!

ill just toss it all out and buy a new one, its old anyways, 8 years.. its time for a nice upgrade

I need to reinstill my operating system onto my external prior to removing internal?

I am clearly confused. The man as Best BUY told me I can just transfer the files I need, and then toss out the old drive.

Is there a link here or can u list what steps I need to do in order to only use my external?

thank u
He probably assumed that you were going to install a new internal drive and reinstall your os on that drive and use the external just as storage. Unless you told him you wanted to boot straight from the external drive. In that case, he's an idiot.....lol. I can understand that if he was just a regular employee at best buy and not a geek squad guy.

Back
Top Bottom