Wireless Internet Advice

rohan23

Fully Optimized
So, I have a wireless router on the second floor of our house. I used to connect my 360 and desktop by a crossover cable, and setup a bridge and connected to LIVE through that. That slowed down my connection to an alarming rate. Is there anyway I could someone extend my signal to another router or network hub to the basement?

What kind of wireless router are you using?

Are you saying that your PC is co-located with the xbox in the basement and it then connects via wireless?

Will an xbox wireless nic not work? If not you could try something like this (this is what I use but it is wireless N).

67412.gif

http://www.buy.com/prod/linksys-wga...mbps-linksys-wga600n/q/loc/101/206576717.html

I really don't want to spend $100 on a new wireless adapter. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible, without having to run a 100 foot cat-5 cable downstairs.

I really don't want to spend $100 on a new wireless adapter. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible, without having to run a 100 foot cat-5 cable downstairs.

I know you literally JUST said you don't want to run cable...but for like 10 bucks plus shipping on newegg, I bought myself some and it was the best investment I ever made networking-wise (versus 100+ bucks for a new wireless N router and receiver). It is 10x faster than connecting through wireless from ground floor to 2nd floor (which got a marginal signal at best). If you have the time to make it look nice (drop it through a vent or whatnot) like I did, it's really worth it.

Zac

I know you literally JUST said you don't want to run cable...but for like 10 bucks plus shipping on newegg, I bought myself some and it was the best investment I ever made networking-wise (versus 100+ bucks for a new wireless N router and receiver). It is 10x faster than connecting through wireless from ground floor to 2nd floor (which got a marginal signal at best). If you have the time to make it look nice (drop it through a vent or whatnot) like I did, it's really worth it.

Zac

Post the link for a very long, cheap cable and I might consider it.

Back
Top Bottom