PC Caller ID

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Is there any free caller ID software on the computer for Vista?

I have a DSL connection and don't feel like getting up and walking to another room to check the caller ID every 5 minutes (damn bill collectors) and I want to make sure I don't miss a call from someone important like a family member or something and maybe also something to disconnect a phone call I don't want to take.

I would prefer free or at least VERY cheap.

Thanks!

Hi,

Here is the hard thing about that question. You would need to be getting your phone calls through your internet connections, something such as VOIP or Skype or the like. It sounds like you aren't doing that. So, if I am understanding this right then I don't think that it is possible, unless you run the connection threw your computer.

Cheers!

No, while your phone may use the same line as your internet they use different frequencies. Your DSL modem does not read the frequency that your phone uses. Therefore when someone calls you your computer never sees it, making caller ID not possible.

That is right. I forgot about that. It has been a while since I have had to deal with dsl and phonelines. Thanks for reminding me.

If I understand this correctly, you want to see Caller ID on your computer screen for calls you get to your landline, correct? I'm just trying to figure out why you have to get up and "check" for it every 5 minutes. Is your phone away from your computer?

If I'm getting this right, you could buy one of those caller ID phones, enable caller ID, and mount a wireless display next to your computer. That way you'll always see who's calling.

http://wowshopper.com/cn/gadgets-el...entific-cordless-phone-wireless-caller-id.htm

Let me know if I'm on the right track here.

No, while your phone may use the same line as your internet they use different frequencies. Your DSL modem does not read the frequency that your phone uses. Therefore when someone calls you your computer never sees it, making caller ID not possible.
This is correct. You can't do anything like that through your DSL connection.

The cable company in my area which offers internet, television and phone service over your cable connection offers phones you can rent from them that have a voice that says who is calling. If you had one of those, you could just listen for it.

AFAIK, If you have an internal modem, you can get CID software... I think. But i've never done that before.

Thanks, guys. What I'm thinking about doing is looking for a splitter and a filter (I have both) and hooking up this POS phone with a caller ID on it. Not as convenient as a PC caller ID, but it appears that is not possible.

Thanks!

AFAIK, If you have an internal modem, you can get CID software... I think. But i've never done that before.

That's what I was thinking...like couldn't you use a modem card and before you get to your DSL box, split the phone line and run one to the dsl box and the other to the modem card (and then back out to the phone if needed) to see who's calling? ...of even some DSL boxes (such as mine) have a phone jack that you could probably just connect to the modem card....but I have NO clue if this will work or not....someone else will have to confirm or deny. In theory, it seems like it would work.

Back
Top Bottom